View topic - Tom Thomson-Sunbeam-Burnt Island-Joe-Tom Thomson Loop

It is currently January 17th, 2020, 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 1st, 2018, 8:27 pm 

Has anyone done the loop in Algonquin from Tom Thomson Lake to Sunbeam Lake to Burnt Island Lake to Joe Lake back to Tom Thomson Lake recently? How are the portages? What would be a reasonable length of time to do this loop as a day trip, i.e., single-carry portages? We will be a group of 8 with some relative novices.

Thanks
John

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 6:33 am 

That loop would be a good day's travel (taking breaks along the way and maybe the odd swim). I would definitely try to be on the water ASAP. If you plan on a all-dayer then you wont feel rushed at any time. The portages are fine, there's a ton of traffic through that area. There all clearly marked and relatively short & easy. Having said that, you are doing a bunch of them and they eat up a lot of time.

My only suggestion would be do to the route counter clockwise if you can. You might want to get Burnt Island done in the morning before the afternoon winds pick up. With any luck you might get a wind from the south or south-ish and it'll help get your group across. Or just see what direction the wind is coming from in the morning and plan your day apporpriately. Also do not try and save time by going up or down through Vanishing Pond. That area will be completely dry. I've done it before and it was a nightmare.

Enjoy the loop, it's a great area. Islands on Sunbeam are great for taking a break (having lunch) and swimming.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 8:38 pm 

Wilsauceez wrote:
...Also do not try and save time by going up or down through Vanishing Pond. That area will be completely dry. I've done it before and it was a nightmare.

I did Vanishing Pond around this time last year (mid-September), and it was completely fine. Narrow and windy at times, with tons of spider webs on the shrubs, but water levels were no issue.

It seems to be right in the middle of the loop, so likely wouldn't be part of the route anyways, but if they decided to cut out Burnt Island and do a shorter loop through Sunbeam, I'd probably attempt Vanishing Pond.

I agree about the islands on Sunbeam though, it's a really pretty lake with the nice views of the scattered islands. The south island site is one of my all-time favourites :)