View topic - Solace PP

It is currently January 17th, 2020, 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solace PP
PostPosted: September 4th, 2018, 6:04 pm 

Planning a 5-day trip to Solace via Gervais Access next week.

Would anyone be able to provide an update on the status of Gervais Road and offer any route ideas, or campsite/lake reviews?

Have done considerable reading and map reviewing but looking for a bit more. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Solace PP
PostPosted: September 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm 

Obvious route for 5 days would be the Sturgeon south to Paul lake, west to Solace/Pilgrim, north through Regan to Scarecrow before returning to the Sturgeon by way of Hamlow 1650m portage. It can also be done in the opposite direction with some easy upstream paddle. If you trip fast you will have time to go from Scarecrow to Smoothwater and back. You'll find good camping and scenery anywhere on this route except limited camping along Regan link between Solace and Hamlow. If you plan doing this link in one go it's better to start early as days are getting short. I'd recommend ottertooth.com for detailed maps and its forum for information.

Post subject: Re: Solace PP
PostPosted: September 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm 

Agree with everything Eddy Turn mentioned in the previous post and just commenting to confirm. The obvious route is Sturgeon to Paul, west to Solace and then make it a loop back through Regan. As he suggested, adding Scarecrow would fill up the 5 day window and allow you to hike Ishpatina (if desired). If not, then you could spend some time exploring around Solace through Pilgrim and into Bluesucker.

As Eddy Turn indicated, there isn't great camping from the Solace to Regan stretch, so that day may be long depending on your approach (I've stayed on Woods a few times when heading into Scarecrow). From my experience, there is pretty good camping through the rest of the proposed route.

Ottertooth is the best spot for maps and more details. I haven't been on the Gervais road this year, but have for the last 5-6 years and it has always been in good shape. I still see their trucks hauling, so assume it's fine.