View topic - Stratton Lake Secret Access

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 5th, 2018, 10:24 am 

During our trip this weekend the park rangers came into our campsite in their motorboat to check our permit. Later that day I saw them heading out of the lake towards the train bridge and I was thinking to myself that it was going to be not much fun portaging their boat - but then I saw them duck into one of the little bays immediately to the right of the train bridge. The pulled up there and I did not see much after that but I could hear them moving their boat around and it sounded like loading it.

When I look at google satellite I don't see a road there. But it could be a very narrow road which may not show up on sat. Especially if they pull their boat trailer with an ATV or something.

I'm just curious whether anyone knows anything.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.859626,- ... a=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: September 5th, 2018, 12:56 pm 

Not particularly 'secret'. There is a bit of a road currently leading from the old railway track bed down to the rangers' launch spot. Anyone can walk to it from Achray, though it's not a public access for vehicles. I think the rangers may store their boat in the bush there for the season.

It appears the road may once have been part of the portage from Grand Lake to Stratton, probably back in the days of a full-scale logging dam at the outlet of Grand. This photo in the APP archives (apparently taken from the railway trestle) shows the location in 1933.
http://algonquinpark.pastperfectonline. ... 5731526711
Stratton Lake was originally known as Crooked Lake, and the Barron River as the Petawawa South Branch.