View topic - French River trip mishaps

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm 

Just returned from a trip on the French and then into Algonquin Park. On Saturday September 1, one of our members left a decent-quality Nikon camera on the rocks as we departed our campsite. It was right next to the water. The camera of course is black, and so are the rocks. The location is just below Little Parisian Rapids. There is a single campsite, quite large, on the left going downstream. If someone finds the camera, no doubt the rain will have wrecked the electrical bits, but the camera contains a number of photos from a previous family trip on the card, and they could probably be salvaged. Please contact me if you find the camera.

Second subject: Same trip. We had along with us an older gentleman who sort of pooped out on the first day. We had arranged a shuttle from the Cold Springs Camp, Deb and Ray Racine. They are on Dokis Reserve. They not only gave us a fair price for the shuttle, but rented us a cottage for the night and made room for a few tents and donated wood for a campfire. Then they kept our friend until we'd finished the trip and finally delivered him to Loon's Landing, near Highway 69. Also delivered the canoe we were forced to leave behind due to being a paddler short. Can't say enough good things about these folks!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm 

This summer we floated a 150 mile section of the Missouri River through the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument in Montana. At one camp we found a point and shoot camera on the shore in front of the camp site. Its view screen was cracked, and it looked like it had been there a while. My companion was able to download the pictures from the camera's card, and has been circulating some of them in hopes that somebody will recognize the people in the pictures, so we can get the card back to its owner.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 5:51 pm 

Sorry, I just paddled along that stretch of the river this past Saturday. Would have looked if I'd know. Have you tried contacting some of the operation around that area (i.e. the French River Supply Post & Marina)? Maybe someone said something to an owners. Actually.... a campsite just past the Little Parisian? Someone could run a motor boat all the way up to that area of the river from the marina at Hwy 69. The river is frequently traveled but the campsites that people choose to stop at are a bit more random. You could always try to hire someone to see if it's still there.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2018, 8:50 pm 

I don't know the river well. We thought we were looking at Little Parisian rapids, but there were more rapids downstream. The map I have at home does not have campsite numbers. Must be really old.

We've contacted the parks people and they sent someone to sites 421 and 422, so they must have gone by boat. They also contacted the camera owner in the James Bay area of Quebec to tell him they had no luck.

I asked the folks at Cold Springs Camp if they had someone who could go, but there are several rapids between them and the campsite, and it would be a lot of work for them to get home again.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 8:27 pm 

More info on location of lost camera from the owner. The camera was left behind at campsite 410 between Little Parisien Rapids and Blue Chute. Camera not important but memory card is.
Offering a reward also.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 3:03 pm 

I was doing the 18 Mile Island loop Sept 5-9th.

Loon's landing asked us to check 421 on our way past and we did, no luck finding a camera.

We stayed at 415 in the 5 mile section and didn't find anything there. We also scoped out almost every campsite we found on our way down the rapids and didn't see anything either.

I'm not 100% on if we checked out 410 specifically, we could have passed it. We portaged through "the ladder" section instead of running Blue Chute/

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 1:26 pm 

I'm sure Terry will thank you for your efforts when he sees your post. And the Loon's Landing folks as well. Last week he was out loading up on blueberries. This week he may be at one of the fish camp. Or maybe dodging James Bay polar bears.....

Thanks for taking the trouble to look, and for letting us know.

From the vegetation on the rock walls beside the river it looks the the dams upstream are opened quite often. If the camera stays put, maybe the card will still be usable.