View topic - QE2 Wildlands Loop

It is currently September 18th, 2020, 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: QE2 Wildlands Loop
PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 9:59 pm 

So my friends and I are planning a trip in the QE2 Wildlands the week after Thanksgiving. The plan is to launch at the Devil's lake access and then paddle west to Victoria lake, then south to Fishog before meadering back up through Scrabble and Sheldon lake to the access.

While I'm fairly familiar with the Devil's lake to Victoria section, I'm hoping someone might have some info on the other sections of the route. In particular I'm wondering if anyone has any info on water levels in Digby Creek and the Head river portions, along with the condition of the portage between Scrabble Lake and Sheldon Lake.

I also so on another post something about an access point on Fishog lake, so any info on that would be great too.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: QE2 Wildlands Loop
PostPosted: September 27th, 2018, 10:24 pm 

Strongly recommend that you do not take Digby Creek to connect Red Boat to Scrabble. I was there last summer and it was one of the worst slogs I've experienced---largely because I ran out of light and there was a cloud of mosquitoes, but it's also just a piddly little overgrown channel. Might be usable in spring before the veg grows in, but take the portages through Clear instead. 10x easier, 100x more enjoyable.

The bottom of Sheldon has a significant waterfall, but even aside from that I think I've heard that Scrabble to Sheldon is a very difficult connection. Scrabble is a really nice lake. Excellent bass fishing throughout, as you likely know. The access on Fishog is private, and via a private road.

There are videos of both routes (though not the connections) in the link in my signature if needed.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of hunters in the park in fall...stay visible :)

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 7:57 am 

Thanks for the heads up on Digby creek. That is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for.

I figured the connection between Scrabble and Sheldon would be pretty rough. A 3km portage probably isn't something that most people want to do on their vacation.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 12:03 pm 

We have canoed most areas of the park many times, including a day trip from the Black River in the west across to Devil's Lake. One factor which has really made the difference for us is utilizing the numerous wetlands and beaver ponds that exist throughout the area. That being said, a beaver dam going out can change a leisurely explore, into a "bootcamp" nightmare. Slogging around a mucky, bushy marsh is no fun, especially during bug season.

Over the years I changed my lake trips, especially in places like QEII to base camping. We would pick a nice interior lake, and then take day loops throughout the area. This allowed us to basically travel through every pond/lake/marsh in the park without "killing" ourselves, including the route from Scrabble-Coburn-Red Boat-Fishog. It certainly makes a difference when stuck with a rough spot, slogging with a day pack, rather than carrying all the other camping gear, and likely having to go back for a second load.
A link to pics and a map of a cross-park day trip.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1Y1Z3r

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:00 pm 

On the off-chance you're not aware, there's a good map for the park at Wayne and Brad Jenning's website:

https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/qewmap

I had to click on the "if the map does not load click here" option today, but the map is there.

This confirms that Jonathan Kelly is a better canoeist than me, because I couldn't even FIND anything that looked remotely-paddleable out the west end of Red Boat Lake when I was there...