View topic - Early May Camping Killarney - Tips for Warmth

It is currently July 15th, 2019, 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 29th, 2019, 4:56 pm 

Hi,

I'm looking at doing a two day solo hike in Killarney first or second week of May.

I have a Hennessy hammock that I prefer to tent but have never gone this early.

Is a hammock doable with low single digits over night?

Any tips for keeping warm either in hammock or tent?

Thanks,
Creighton

PostPosted: March 29th, 2019, 7:29 pm 

Do you have a underquilt for the hammock? Convection breeze is what makes your backside cool. This one below is synthetic with 3 and 4 season versions. Sky is the limit for down and fancy pants ones. You could rig up a sleeping bag under snugged up. The compressed bags and such loose their insulating when squished by your weight so stuff snugged under do well.

https://www.onetigris.com/catalog/product/view/id/154

PostPosted: March 29th, 2019, 10:18 pm 

Here's the place for hammock questions/info.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum

I once had a Hennessy Safari that I used with thermarest beneath me and my sleeping bag as a top quilt. Kinda tricky to keep the pad in place, but it did the trick. With a 2QZQ mod, you could zip yourself and the hammock both inside a barrel style sleeping bag ... "pea pod" method.

I now have a double layer bridge hammock and put my basecamp thermarest between the layers where it stays put, and use my -7C down bag as a top quilt for our ice-out Algonquin trips. This has kept me toasty down to ??? ... not just sure ... but when I woke up one morning 2 springs ago, there was a strongish breeze blowing, 2" of snow on the ground and a full 2.5 litre pot of water near me was frozen solid top to bottom.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2019, 9:25 am 

I've used my Hennessy for a few years now and have been out from early May till late October, some nights dropping below freezing, without any issue of warmth. I don't use an underquilt...they may be easy to use but I've never had the chance. When the temperature drops I simply lay my MEC 3.8 Reactor sleeping pad in the hammock with a small wool blanket on top, then climb into a mummy bag and I'm toasty warm for the night. It's during those cold nights that I have the best sleeps actually...I don't seem to move a muscle and wake up in the exact position I fell asleep in. The hammock is the best bit of kit I ever bought!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 4:24 am 

Awesome thanks for the info

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 5:52 am 

There are hammock purists out there who will take their hammocks out in -30, so I don't see why you'll have issues around the freezing mark provided that you've adequately prepared yourself. Take a look at Shug's videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

He covers all your hammock camping bases. He is a little over the top in his presentation, but the advice is very sound and these videos won't lead you astray.

There are two big producers of cottage vendor hammock gear in Canada that I'm aware of (and probably more that I am not aware of).

Little Shop of Hammocks

https://www.littleshopofhammocks.com/

Hoffman Outdoor Gear Supply

https://hofmanoutdoorgearsupply.ca/

I've dealt with James from Little Shop of Hammocks and I'm comfortable recommending him. I have not dealt with Gerrit from HOGS shop, but I am confident that his stuff is just as good as Little Shop of Hammocks and will most likely switch it up and try out his stuff the next time we're in the market for hammock gear.

Just as an aside, make sure you try your stuff out if you make any major changes to your set up. Hammocks require a lot of fiddling to get right.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 10:09 am 

The hammock forum is interesting but are more than a few obsessives there :) To suggest something even cheaper and simpler than the 70bucks earlier....Grab a second sleeping bag, semi laboriously fold it longwise about the half circle of you in the hammock, and tie up some line/shock cord to four drooped corners, tie it back to the ridgeline end, a prussik is good, and snug it under your hammock as a try out before buying an underquilt. Trips are good have fun.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 12:15 pm 

I hammock all year round, You will be fine with the proper bottom and top quilt. If you don't have mucho $$$ to though down on a good bottom quilt, buy a decent cheap rectangle bag and get a seamstress to sow in some attachment lines at the ends. There are some videos out there on how to do this. The use your regular bag as a top quilt. Or you can just put a sleep pad down on the bottom, but the quilt is better. I use a Hennessy as well and have never had an issue even down to -20c.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm 

In September I was out with my Hennessy when the low hit 1C. I didn't have an underquilt with me so I did a ground set up like a bivy. Not sure how it would have done in heavy rain, but it kept me nice and toasty.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 10:42 am 

steve.of.london....thanks for the Onetigris suggestion! I bought one through Amazon for $73 including taxes and shipping, and will be using it as soon as possible on my first outing of the season. I may even set it up in the back yard to try this weekend. I'll report back on how it fares. I guess I don't have to take my sleeping pad or wool blanket any more!