View topic - Philip Edward Island campsites

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: March 17th, 2016, 2:10 am
Posts: 133
I tried to paddle around Philip Edward Island near Killarney 2 years ago, but turned back once I realized that it is hard to figure out where the campsites are.

I have multiple maps of the area that shows the campsites but I still could not find them.

So, how can someone who has never been there figure out where there is a vacant site with no prior knowledge of the area?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9019
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
Campsites are where you make one.

You can't tell what is vacant unless you poke around. A circle of stones often signifies where there was a tent

Did you see Wayne Jennings video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oM8uHAc_o4

Nothing is marked or numbered like in APP.

We took a chart that had no campsites on it.. We did not have any trouble.. You have to measure what fits your equipment and landing abilities

I do know I have seen a campsite map of PEI somewhere but don't remember where.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: December 14th, 2017, 10:31 am
Posts: 32
https://www.unlostify.com/

if you go to the Killarney map it shows the campsites on PEI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 17th, 2016, 2:10 am
Posts: 133
mtphoto wrote:
https://www.unlostify.com/

if you go to the Killarney map it shows the campsites on PEI


I have tried using that, and the Jeff's Maps one. Still not really sure they are.

As far as spotting a circle, I guess late evening paddling is a bad idea then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9019
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
swimmer_sppe wrote:
mtphoto wrote:
https://www.unlostify.com/

if you go to the Killarney map it shows the campsites on PEI


I have tried using that, and the Jeff's Maps one. Still not really sure they are.

As far as spotting a circle, I guess late evening paddling is a bad idea then.

Especially near the launch point
Those get gobbled early
We are used to bare rock camping as the islands off Maine look similar (except for seaweed and 20
foot tides)
Its a big mistake on big water to sleep in amd paddle late
The wind is apt to have other ideas
At home we are on the water about 90 min after sunup
This means by noon we have done 20 km
amd are ready to scout for a site
I thinknthe only thing hampering you is timing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 17th, 2016, 2:10 am
Posts: 133
littleredcanoe wrote:
swimmer_sppe wrote:
mtphoto wrote:
https://www.unlostify.com/

if you go to the Killarney map it shows the campsites on PEI


I have tried using that, and the Jeff's Maps one. Still not really sure they are.

As far as spotting a circle, I guess late evening paddling is a bad idea then.

Especially near the launch point
Those get gobbled early
We are used to bare rock camping as the islands off Maine look similar (except for seaweed and 20
foot tides)
Its a big mistake on big water to sleep in amd paddle late
The wind is apt to have other ideas
At home we are on the water about 90 min after sunup
This means by noon we have done 20 km
amd are ready to scout for a site
I thinknthe only thing hampering you is timing


I have never been an early riser. It sounds like that may need to change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9019
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
I think when you are in big water you are attuned more to....wind..I know I have waken up very early ( way before sunrise) when the wind seems to come up in the middle of the night.. It should't do that normally.
It is a good alarm clock to ...get going or prepare to hunker.
I don't normally rise at the crack of dawn at home.

The Killarney Map shows campsites that we stayed at .. so I trust the rest are accurate. But maybe occupied of course.

I hope you try again as it is a very nice trip..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: February 4th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Posts: 134
How can you identify a campsite? Look for a spot that isn't too sloped or rough and where the trees are more sparse. Probably around a point, but not necessarily. Beach your canoe, and physically get out and take a walk. If you find a fire ring, someone has camped there before. Sometimes you can see them from the water . You may even get lucky and find a thunderbox in the bush somewhere. Some were placed around Smoothwater years ago. Marked with surveyor's tape.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 29th, 2006, 7:57 pm
Posts: 496
Location: Toronto
swimmer_sppe, littleredcanoe is right. It is a very nice paddle, especially the G'Bay side. There must be a hundred possible places to pitch a tent between South Point and Beaverstone Bay, either on P.E. I. or on one of the many islands you will paddle by on the way down to Beaverstone.

Given that it is for the most part crown land there are no designated campsites and signage. The Unlostify map will give you a good idea of where to look but there are many others not indicated. chicopee's tips should do the trick. By all means, hop out of the canoe and walk around the island you've landed on to check out the lay of the land.

_________________
http://albinger.me/canoe-tripping/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 17th, 2016, 2:10 am
Posts: 133
true_north wrote:
swimmer_sppe, littleredcanoe is right. It is a very nice paddle, especially the G'Bay side. There must be a hundred possible places to pitch a tent between South Point and Beaverstone Bay, either on P.E. I. or on one of the many islands you will paddle by on the way down to Beaverstone.

Given that it is for the most part crown land there are no designated campsites and signage. The Unlostify map will give you a good idea of where to look but there are many others not indicated. chicopee's tips should do the trick. By all means, hop out of the canoe and walk around the island you've landed on to check out the lay of the land.


I am in a 18 foot sea kayak. Not quite as easy to just hop out of. That is why I would rather some help with finding sites.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Posts: 9019
Location: Rattlesnake Pond ME
I was too.. Its not that hard really to see what could be a campsite. We did all our scouting from the water.

I also was four weeks before a knee replacement so walking was not fun.

Maybe its because PEI looks a lot like the several hundred campsited islands on the Maine Island Trail , it is easy for me to detect what looks like a campsite from a kayak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Posts: 574
Location: Timmins
You can pretty much camp anywhere. Good chance there will be a flat spot for your tent within 50m of where you land on the coast, that's all you really need anyways. But yeah, use the unlostify map to orient yourself to a site and get close to the general campsite area, then look for signs of use, firepit, an opening, structures, cut branches etc.

I've camped at many an unused 'site' on the eastern coast of Georgian Bay, trust me when I say all you need to look for to camp out there is a promising flat spot. Spotting an ideal spot may take a bit of extra work at first, but once you get an idea of what you're looking for it'll seem drop dead easy.

_________________

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 17th, 2016, 2:10 am
Posts: 133
Stajanleafs wrote:
You can pretty much camp anywhere. Good chance there will be a flat spot for your tent within 50m of where you land on the coast, that's all you really need anyways. But yeah, use the unlostify map to orient yourself to a site and get close to the general campsite area, then look for signs of use, firepit, an opening, structures, cut branches etc.

I've camped at many an unused 'site' on the eastern coast of Georgian Bay, trust me when I say all you need to look for to camp out there is a promising flat spot. Spotting an ideal spot may take a bit of extra work at first, but once you get an idea of what you're looking for it'll seem drop dead easy.


The problem I really have is that I need something to anchor 1 point of my tent. Cannot do that on the bare rock.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 5th, 2019, 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 28th, 2004, 5:26 pm
Posts: 44
Location: n/e ontario
1) Kayaks are an excellent boat for Phillip EI. For camping, the landing spot is more important to a kayak than the tent spot. And as noted above, nearly all the sites are on bare rock. You need to find a way to secure your tent, or get a different tent. Most of us tie to a big rock to secure the place where pegs ususaly go.
2) When circumnavigating the island, I always go east through Collins Inlet first. It is gorgeous northern Ontario landscape to enjoy. Once you get to Beaverstone Bay, gorgeous becomes stunningly awesome. An easy transition. Folks who do the outer coast first have trouble adjusting to simple beautiful.
3) In Collins Inlet, the north shore has few camping options. Most campsites are on the Island, and are marked on unlostify. And most campsites are a good distance from the launch at Chikanishing. You need an early start. Several lightly used campsites are on Mill Lake.
4) Killarney PP has 2 campsites marked on the north shore. Not very good sites, and rarely used. In fact, the eastern most site is nearly impossible to find. Hasn't been used in a very long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 5th, 2019, 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Posts: 574
Location: Timmins
swimmer_sppe wrote:

The problem I really have is that I need something to anchor 1 point of my tent. Cannot do that on the bare rock.



Here's an oldie we filmed years ago out on those open exposed rocks of Georgian Bay. You can most certainly setup a tent without pegs. You may need some guy lines, (read: extra rope for the corners), but essentially, you'll tie your tent to boulders/rocks. Another method is to tie the corner to a small log/stick (lengthwise) and place rocks on the stick for added support. You could also tie your guy-lines to trees, packs etc. Whatever is sturdy and can keep the tent in place. Feel free to get creative with it. There is no wrong way, so long as you're secured.

Well used spots on PEI will have 'rock rings' around a flat area where others have secured their tent in a similar fashion. Keep an eye out for these at your chosen spot.

Even on interior lake/river trips, we find places where the pegs won't go in, so it's handy to have this skill in your quiver.




some extra tips here: http://www.chrisolsonoutside.com/how-to-secure-your-tent-when-traditional-stakes-wont-work/

Here's a pic of our tent setup on the rocks. Note, the boulders in the corners used to secure the tent.
Attachment:
P1330883 ccr.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com



Last edited by Stajanleafs on April 5th, 2019, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group