View topic - Philip Edward Island campsites

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am 

I tried to paddle around Philip Edward Island near Killarney 2 years ago, but turned back once I realized that it is hard to figure out where the campsites are.

I have multiple maps of the area that shows the campsites but I still could not find them.

So, how can someone who has never been there figure out where there is a vacant site with no prior knowledge of the area?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm 

Campsites are where you make one.

You can't tell what is vacant unless you poke around. A circle of stones often signifies where there was a tent

Did you see Wayne Jennings video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oM8uHAc_o4

Nothing is marked or numbered like in APP.

We took a chart that had no campsites on it.. We did not have any trouble.. You have to measure what fits your equipment and landing abilities

I do know I have seen a campsite map of PEI somewhere but don't remember where.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 2:45 pm 

https://www.unlostify.com/

if you go to the Killarney map it shows the campsites on PEI

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 5:38 pm 

mtphoto wrote:

I have tried using that, and the Jeff's Maps one. Still not really sure they are.

As far as spotting a circle, I guess late evening paddling is a bad idea then.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 6:51 pm 

swimmer_sppe wrote:
mtphoto wrote:

I have tried using that, and the Jeff's Maps one. Still not really sure they are.

Especially near the launch point
Those get gobbled early
We are used to bare rock camping as the islands off Maine look similar (except for seaweed and 20
foot tides)
Its a big mistake on big water to sleep in amd paddle late
The wind is apt to have other ideas
At home we are on the water about 90 min after sunup
This means by noon we have done 20 km
amd are ready to scout for a site
I thinknthe only thing hampering you is timing

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
swimmer_sppe wrote:
mtphoto wrote:

Especially near the launch point
Those get gobbled early
We are used to bare rock camping as the islands off Maine look similar (except for seaweed and 20
foot tides)
Its a big mistake on big water to sleep in amd paddle late
The wind is apt to have other ideas
At home we are on the water about 90 min after sunup
This means by noon we have done 20 km
amd are ready to scout for a site
I thinknthe only thing hampering you is timing

I have never been an early riser. It sounds like that may need to change.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:21 am 

I think when you are in big water you are attuned more to....wind..I know I have waken up very early ( way before sunrise) when the wind seems to come up in the middle of the night.. It should't do that normally.
It is a good alarm clock to ...get going or prepare to hunker.
I don't normally rise at the crack of dawn at home.

The Killarney Map shows campsites that we stayed at .. so I trust the rest are accurate. But maybe occupied of course.

I hope you try again as it is a very nice trip..

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:33 am 

How can you identify a campsite? Look for a spot that isn't too sloped or rough and where the trees are more sparse. Probably around a point, but not necessarily. Beach your canoe, and physically get out and take a walk. If you find a fire ring, someone has camped there before. Sometimes you can see them from the water . You may even get lucky and find a thunderbox in the bush somewhere. Some were placed around Smoothwater years ago. Marked with surveyor's tape.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 7:00 pm 

swimmer_sppe, littleredcanoe is right. It is a very nice paddle, especially the G'Bay side. There must be a hundred possible places to pitch a tent between South Point and Beaverstone Bay, either on P.E. I. or on one of the many islands you will paddle by on the way down to Beaverstone.

Given that it is for the most part crown land there are no designated campsites and signage. The Unlostify map will give you a good idea of where to look but there are many others not indicated. chicopee's tips should do the trick. By all means, hop out of the canoe and walk around the island you've landed on to check out the lay of the land.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm 

true_north wrote:
swimmer_sppe, littleredcanoe is right. It is a very nice paddle, especially the G'Bay side. There must be a hundred possible places to pitch a tent between South Point and Beaverstone Bay, either on P.E. I. or on one of the many islands you will paddle by on the way down to Beaverstone.

Given that it is for the most part crown land there are no designated campsites and signage. The Unlostify map will give you a good idea of where to look but there are many others not indicated. chicopee's tips should do the trick. By all means, hop out of the canoe and walk around the island you've landed on to check out the lay of the land.

I am in a 18 foot sea kayak. Not quite as easy to just hop out of. That is why I would rather some help with finding sites.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 9:44 pm 

I was too.. Its not that hard really to see what could be a campsite. We did all our scouting from the water.

I also was four weeks before a knee replacement so walking was not fun.

Maybe its because PEI looks a lot like the several hundred campsited islands on the Maine Island Trail , it is easy for me to detect what looks like a campsite from a kayak.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 10:30 pm 

You can pretty much camp anywhere. Good chance there will be a flat spot for your tent within 50m of where you land on the coast, that's all you really need anyways. But yeah, use the unlostify map to orient yourself to a site and get close to the general campsite area, then look for signs of use, firepit, an opening, structures, cut branches etc.

I've camped at many an unused 'site' on the eastern coast of Georgian Bay, trust me when I say all you need to look for to camp out there is a promising flat spot. Spotting an ideal spot may take a bit of extra work at first, but once you get an idea of what you're looking for it'll seem drop dead easy.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 10:38 pm 

Stajanleafs wrote:
You can pretty much camp anywhere. Good chance there will be a flat spot for your tent within 50m of where you land on the coast, that's all you really need anyways. But yeah, use the unlostify map to orient yourself to a site and get close to the general campsite area, then look for signs of use, firepit, an opening, structures, cut branches etc.

I've camped at many an unused 'site' on the eastern coast of Georgian Bay, trust me when I say all you need to look for to camp out there is a promising flat spot. Spotting an ideal spot may take a bit of extra work at first, but once you get an idea of what you're looking for it'll seem drop dead easy.

The problem I really have is that I need something to anchor 1 point of my tent. Cannot do that on the bare rock.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2019, 6:00 am 

1) Kayaks are an excellent boat for Phillip EI. For camping, the landing spot is more important to a kayak than the tent spot. And as noted above, nearly all the sites are on bare rock. You need to find a way to secure your tent, or get a different tent. Most of us tie to a big rock to secure the place where pegs ususaly go.
2) When circumnavigating the island, I always go east through Collins Inlet first. It is gorgeous northern Ontario landscape to enjoy. Once you get to Beaverstone Bay, gorgeous becomes stunningly awesome. An easy transition. Folks who do the outer coast first have trouble adjusting to simple beautiful.
3) In Collins Inlet, the north shore has few camping options. Most campsites are on the Island, and are marked on unlostify. And most campsites are a good distance from the launch at Chikanishing. You need an early start. Several lightly used campsites are on Mill Lake.
4) Killarney PP has 2 campsites marked on the north shore. Not very good sites, and rarely used. In fact, the eastern most site is nearly impossible to find. Hasn't been used in a very long time.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2019, 8:28 am 

swimmer_sppe wrote:

The problem I really have is that I need something to anchor 1 point of my tent. Cannot do that on the bare rock.

Here's an oldie we filmed years ago out on those open exposed rocks of Georgian Bay. You can most certainly setup a tent without pegs. You may need some guy lines, (read: extra rope for the corners), but essentially, you'll tie your tent to boulders/rocks. Another method is to tie the corner to a small log/stick (lengthwise) and place rocks on the stick for added support. You could also tie your guy-lines to trees, packs etc. Whatever is sturdy and can keep the tent in place. Feel free to get creative with it. There is no wrong way, so long as you're secured.

Well used spots on PEI will have 'rock rings' around a flat area where others have secured their tent in a similar fashion. Keep an eye out for these at your chosen spot.

Even on interior lake/river trips, we find places where the pegs won't go in, so it's handy to have this skill in your quiver.

some extra tips here: http://www.chrisolsonoutside.com/how-to-secure-your-tent-when-traditional-stakes-wont-work/

Here's a pic of our tent setup on the rocks. Note, the boulders in the corners used to secure the tent.
Attachment:
P1330883 ccr.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

Last edited by Stajanleafs on April 5th, 2019, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.