View topic - Isphpatina Ridge, Gervais Rd at Sturgeon River

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm 

Hi All. Im planning a trip to Scarecrow Lake below Ishpatina Ridge, at the end of the month. We are planning on accessing the area via Gervais road at the Sturgeon River. The last time i was through this point was in the fall and water levels for the river were low. It was less than shin high. i was wondering has anyone been through there in the spring are the water levels too high. Is there a web site that i can go to that has the water levels for that area. Its a very long drive in to find that we wont be able to cross, so i want to be pretty sure.
thanks chris

PostPosted: May 15th, 2019, 8:51 pm 

You can get current and historic water levels from the gauge on the Sturgeon at Upper Goose falls, which is 2 days downstream paddle from Gervais: https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... tn=02DC012

Looking at recent graphs I'd say that average June 1st flow was around 20 to 30+ cubic meters. I don't know at what level Gervais crossing becomes passable. Current level is 110 m3/s, which is obviously a flood stage.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 9:14 pm 

Eddy thanks for the info. I'll watch the flows over the next week or so. Fingers crossed but starting to plan a different place as a back up.
Thank you chris

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 11:20 am 

Are you hiking in? Or?
No problem to canoe across.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 7:34 pm 

Hi red pine. We just need to cross the river right at Gervais rd. I could just try and paddle across the river. It's not very wide. But concerned the current will be way to strong for me to handle. I've seen historical water levels / flows and it looks like it normally drops way down at the end of the month. I'm really hoping someone on this forum lives right there and says" no problem crossing the river there." Lol on another site someone mentioned I will need a tank to get through there. So hoping it's not that bad.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 8:12 pm 

If grncanoe says the road is not passable I'd rather trust his experience.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm 

It has been a very late thaw here in the north. Most of our lakes and river are at or near flood levels. The Sturgeon River watershed still has about 30 percent of its snow load. The lakes to the north have just begun to break up this past week. Lake Nipissing which the Sturgeon River feeds into may not peak for another week.
The crossing at Gervais Road may be much wider at flood state with very heavy currents.
It may be a month before the Sturgeon River reach normal levels.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2019, 11:44 am 

Hi all. Thanks to everyone. I have decided to change my trip destination. It's too long of a drive to get there and find we would have to turn around. What a bummer that would be. I appreciate all the helpful input.
Thanks
Chris legare