View topic - Family Kayak Paddles - Looking for Ideas!

It is currently August 4th, 2020, 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 10:03 am 

Hey folks,

New user here looking for some ideas. The family and I have been doing short flat water paddles for awhile and this summer have started doing some longer ones... We have paddled a couple stretches of the Ganaraska River in Port hope and the kids had a blast with the rapids. We also paddles part of a river through Cobourg and and were able to go over a couple small dams/waterfalls. We are currently using a selection of Sit on Top Kayaks. The kids are 12 and 14.

Moving forward the kids would like to start hitting some more rapids and white water. I think this is a good goal to start working towards. Before we get into much more serious water I will be getting some helmets. I am also looking into working our duration of paddling up from a long side of 3 hours to full day with a goal of paddling the Missassgua.

So now I am looking for some paddling suggestions in the Southern Ontario area that might be family/newbie friendly. Thoughts on maybe the Indian River, Nith River, Grand River? Any others you would suggest? we are out of the Cobourg area but I am not adverse to traveling. We usually spend a few weeks each summer living out of our trailer in parking lots so this year we will bring the Kayaks along.

Cheers and much thanks!

Mike