View topic - Typical time to get to Threenarrows Lake from George Lake?

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm 

Hi Everyone,

As the title says I am planning a trip to Killarney and I am trying to figure out how long it will take to get to Threenarrows Lake. The group I go with would be considered normal/fast and typically do not double back portages. Thanks!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2019, 3:32 pm 

Assuming that you are departing from the George Lake campsite, and single carrying the 3.5k worth of portages from Killarney Lake to Threenarrows, Jeff McMurtrie's Unlostify Killarney map reckons 4hrs 45mins.

https://www.unlostify.com/

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 8:06 am 

Thanks! I didn't realize there were trip times on unlostify maps.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 8:26 am 

Yep, each square block in those strings equals 15mins. Blue ones mean you're paddling, black ones mean you're portaging.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 1:59 pm 

I see that now thanks!
Any chance you have done that 3 km portage? Trying to figure out how difficult it is.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2019, 4:14 pm 

Did it years ago. fairly flat as I recall.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 6:28 am 

Having had to triple-carry walking the port five times late in the season one year, it didn't strike me as being esp flat. But flatness is a relative term - if you're comparing that to walking through the Canadian Rockies, then yes, it's flat.

A little something to help during the carry, good for a breather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPIDiUt2ec

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 6:51 am 

devio wrote:
I see that now thanks!
Any chance you have done that 3 km portage? Trying to figure out how difficult it is.

No, haven't personally tackled it. My neighbour and his wife did it 3-4yrs ago. One and a half carries. She wasn't impressed.

What i do miss from Jeff's original maps is the peak elevation on the portages and lake elevations. One could get an idea of the steepness/flatness of the ports using that info.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 6:47 pm 

I did it 6 or 7 years ago in early October. The trail from Killarney Lake to the unnamed lake 400 m. south of Threenarrows is long, but not particularly hellish as 3-k portages go. I remember a wet section somewhere in the middle. Going towards Threenarrows was tough because of the weight I was carrying. 6 or 7 days later on the return trip down the trail the load was lighter and my portage time much faster. I double-carried in just under 2 hours. It's a small world: the last poster, "open_side_up", now owns the canoe I used on that trip, a Mad River Independence. An irrelevant detail, I suppose, but I do remember liking both the canoe and the route.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 6:50 am 

I've done that portage twice, last time being 3 years ago. The trail itself is not difficult, only one spot where you have a "significant" uphill. I only say significant because I don't try and know anyone's fitness level. Myself & my daughter have no problem with it.

Martin is correct with the one boggy section (100m) your not going to get your feet wet, but you will see a major increase in bugs. So head down and motor through lol. The pond between Kill & Three is a nuisance more than anything. At that point you just want the port over, instead you have to load up, paddle for 5 mins then unload again and then finish the port.

I do find that doing that portage is worth it though. After that port I feel like I'm in a different park (crowds disappear). There's the chance you won't see a sole when on Three and the fishing is pretty good. My only advice would be to leap frog the port, that way no muscles get overly strained.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 2:15 pm 

Thank you open-side_up, martin2007, and Wilsauceez for the information! I feel much more comfortable about that route and am looking forward to the trip!

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 2:17 pm 

Wilsauceez wrote:
I do find that doing that portage is worth it though. After that port I feel like I'm in a different park (crowds disappear). There's the chance you won't see a sole when on Three and the fishing is pretty good. My only advice would be to leap frog the port, that way no muscles get overly strained.

What kind of fish would we typically find in Threenarrows, Pike and Bass I assume?

And sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by leap frog the port?

Thanks!

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 6:28 pm 

Hi Devio, I'll go ahead and answer in case Wilsauceez doesn't see this soon. "Leapfrogging" refers to breaking up your carry into shorter pieces. A 3000 m portage will involve 9000 m of walking of which 6000 will be with a load. No matter how you break it up into pieces, you won't reduce the overall length of the carry. That said, you can take more frequent breaks by "leapfrogging". Take your pack(s) first for a 500 m walk. Return 500 m to where the boat is waiting, pick it up and carry the boat for 1000m, i.e. 500m past where you recently dropped the packs. Now walk back to the packs (500m) to retrieve the packs, and like the last piece, walk the packs past where the canoe is lying on the ground and keep walking as long as you want, say another 500m. In effect, you're "leapfrogging" the port. The overall distance walked and carried will be the same, but the loadless walk portion will be split up into shorter, more frequent events, and your muscles and psyche will benefit.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2019, 9:36 pm 

My mind went to a tandem canoe with two paddlers, with total load being one canoe, one daypack and two canoe packs. 1st paddler carries canoe pack and paddles etc to end of portage. 2nd paddler carries canoe and day pack to halfway point, drops them and returns to pick up final canoe pack and accessories, then walks through to end of portage. 1st paddler returns to halfway point and picks up canoe/day pack and returns to end of portage ... so each paddler on a 3000m portage walks only 6000m, taking breaks as necessary.

(BTW martin2007, I just finished adding a sliding Swift contour seat and removable yoke to that Indy and looking forward to taking her out again.