View topic - bear attack story, interesting

It is currently September 18th, 2020, 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2399171/a ... ear-attack

PostPosted: July 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm 

Lucky guy. Would rather not ever have to go through something like that. You'd think forestry workers would at least be carrying bear spray and bear bangers.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: July 9th, 2019, 6:33 pm 

I guess the ultimate takeaway is a quote at the bottom of the piece. Spray can be hard to get the cap off when youre ten seconds from being killed.

'As for what we can all learn from his ordeal, Woods is adamant about having bear spray at the ready and being well practiced in its use—if he’d been quicker at getting the safety cap off, the bear might still be alive, too.

“It has to be totally accessible,” he says. “Because it all happens so fast. The whole process, between seeing the bear charging up the hill until I sunk the hatchet in its head, was maybe 15 seconds, including me kicking it twice in the head. It was so fast, there just wasn’t any time to mess around with the clip.”'

PostPosted: July 9th, 2019, 9:13 pm 

TFS Steve. That was my takeaway from it as well. If you're going to bother carrying it, it ought to be on your belt at your fingertips.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2019, 9:32 am 

I used to work around bears all the time in SE Alaska. This is an interesting story. There is no doubt this sow was showing predatory behavior. It happened to me a few times in Alaska. One boar black bear just kept coming. We got out of his way. He kept coming back always on our 6 (behind us). We had rifles, but avoided conflict by giving way.

The forester in question made plenty of noise. He kind of panicked with the bear spray. It should be on a holster on your pack belt. Practice taking the safety off, because you are only going to have a couple of seconds. The guy fought back and did a lot of things right. Glad he made it. Black bears can be predatory and people need to more aware of this. You do not know what order they come in. I found the wild bears to be unafraid of humans. Sometimes they were curious. None of them ever moved off quickly.