View topic - Blueberry Lake loop

It is currently July 8th, 2020, 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blueberry Lake loop
PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 7:48 am 

I'm planning to loop Blueberry Lake this fine Canada Day weekend, we'd start at the Cassels Lake launch off Fox Run Road (access point 9 on Jeff's) and probably camp on both Blueberry and Sunrise. I've spoken with a guide who did the loop recently so I know what to expect for portages, nesting gull colonies etc.

What are the campsites like on those lakes in terms of facilities? Should I expect thunderboxes, or fire grates?

Also, is there a compelling reason to do the loop either clockwise or counterclockwise? I'd been assuming we'd go clockwise (head straight to Blueberry first) but it occurred to me that counterclockwise (head south on Cassels/Rabbit to Sunrise first) would give us a shorter last day, which is the day we have to drive all the way back to Toronto (on the way up we're driving the night before).

Would also be open to anyone's tips on campsite choice, trails on Blueberry, and fishing.

Post subject: Re: Blueberry Lake loop
PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 8:18 am 

a very nice area, i would stop at the northland paradise lodge and ask about the large beach site on cassel`s lake, there is a old miners shaft filled with water near the site at the east end of the lake, beauty spot.
also ask if the lodge has bear bait stations set up,(seasonal) i know there are some set up along the lake, no surprises eh?
great bass fishing in blueberry, the rest of the lakes have been fished hard over the years. there is old growth trees along this route

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 7:31 am 

Thanks, we're actually staying at NPL tonight before starting. We're not planning to camp on Cassels Lake so hopefully bait stations aren't an issue... do they bait this early anyway? And yeah we know about the old growth trails on Blueberry, that's part of the plan.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 10:06 pm 

There are 2 campsites on Blueberry Lake on a north facing peninsula that have been maintained. Both have thunder boxes. The western one has been setup by FofT with a thunderbox and shovel incase the box needs to be moved. We installed a box on the eastern site.

The portages into Blueberry and the Old Growth hiking trails are mostly maintained annually for the past 6 years. We missed one year. In the fall this past year we cleared the portages going south through Tucker and Sunrise to Rabbit.

I have upto 16 volunteers per yr to help out on long weekend trips to help keep everything open.