View topic - BC to reopen camping

It is currently August 3rd, 2020, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BC to reopen camping
PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 4:49 am 

Hopefully a sign of things to come. I dont fully understand the closure of backcountry camping. When i go i dont interact with anybody. But maybe itll be back to normal (the new normal) soon.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6914107/bc-c ... ronavirus/

Post subject: Re: BC to reopen camping
PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 7:35 am 

Just remember they are weeks ahead of most of the rest of the country in this ... so here in Ontario I wouldn't expect the same until maybe May 2-4

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 8:14 am 

Wilsauceez wrote:
Hopefully a sign of things to come. I dont fully understand the closure of backcountry camping. When i go i dont interact with anybody. But maybe itll be back to normal (the new normal) soon.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6914107/bc-c ... ronavirus/

Sometimes it is not done with any sort of distancing. What canoe trippers do is vastly different from car campers.

Now here camping opens up soon to but I expect the border not to reopen till fall. Our state has done a fine job of containing the virus but other states have not. Understandably Canada doesn't want to be overwhelmed with tourists now.

Feeling penned in as we share lots of border with Canada and a little over a quarter of the length of that border with the single US state we share a border with.

The tourists are trying to sneak up and bend the 14 day self quarantine rule. You know the ME ME attitude we are so good at .

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 8:39 am 

I'm thinking that the risk lies in the long-distance travel, not in the act of camping. Seems to me that hiding in the bush is a great way to weather this thing, provided that you aren't infected before you actually get into the canoe. To get to decent camping territory from where I live, we need to travel at least a couple of hundred miles.

On another note, I'd never considered that Maine might have a closer relationship to a foreign country than to its own. Don't know why I wouldn't, since I live near Windsor, Ontario, which is surrounded on three sides by mostly Michigan. Windsor is actually south of Detroit, and the two cities are practically joined at the hip.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 11:32 am 

For those of us here in Minnesota, we are chomping at the bit to make the water crossing of the voyageur route into Quetico. I could see there being a risk of infection if some of us were to come in via Atikokan to the north or if we have to visit ranger stations at PP or Cache Bay to pick up permits. I don't have an answer for any of this. We are all just hoping the border opens soon! I had a trip to Wabakimi planned and I'm sure others were intending to head for Woodland Caribou and more distant parks such as Opasquia but if we must wait, then wait we will.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 1:13 pm 

or even if I could get across the border my destination might still be closed.
https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/alert-sy ... th-orders/

Stricter than Ontarios?

PostPosted: May 8th, 2020, 9:14 am 

More strict? Not being one to do a lot of research I'm not sure, but it seems similar to what I've seen and heard. Enforcement is really spotty. In my area the few conservation areas that exist are kept open for use by the local authority for reasons of mental health and exercise. A bit farther east, there is the threat of charges for trespassing on any and all Authority lands.

There is a news report about one man exercising with his three kids in a corner of an empty parking lot and getting an $800.00 ticket, and another one getting the same for sitting on a park bench. Yet when several hundred bikers show up in a resort town, nothing happens.

Another story about an American woman legally married to a Canadian and having a proper legal status, yet refused entry.

Conformance seems really impressive to me, and police in my area are not active on the subject, although they will make "educational" visits if an individual reports a concern.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2020, 10:59 am 

I see a lot of inconsistency here too. Our boat ramp is open but our walking trails in the PP and Consv areas are closed---- :o :( :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.