View topic - Day hike - leave stuff unattended

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 9:10 am 

Hello everyone,

It will be our first time going for a hike during Killarney stay ( plan to visit silver peak). We plan to do it on a free day, so that means we get up eat breakfast and depart for a hike, and come back at nighttime. What are your thoughts of leaving stuff unattended ( note we will be staying on Bell/Three Mile lake)?

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 9:28 am 

I have never had a problem leaving stuff (at that PP). We've done the loop twice and both times left all our gear at the bottom of silver peak and walked up. One thing you can do though is put "valuables" in the tent when your gone. If someone comes into your camp they won't know if your gone or just having a nap. Nobody knocks on a tent to see if anybody is home lol.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 9:32 am 

Thank you Wilsauceez for your advice, we will just hide most items in a tent. Do you remember by chance where you left canoe when going up to silver peak?

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 10:48 am 

both times I've done silver peak was when we hiked it. If you paddle down to the port from Bell to David Cr. there is a take out on the south side of the bay (opposite side of the actual port). I've never been to that spot, but been told you can't miss it. Just paddle down the southern shoreline of Bell and you'll see it.
IDK for sure but there should be "Red" trail markers at the take out. If there is then follow those. Red is for silver peak and the blue markers are for the LaCloche Trail. They'll probably be both together for a while until the silver peak trail breaks off if I remember right.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 3:53 pm 

When my wife and I hiked to Silver Peak from Bell Lake 2 years ago, we left the canoe well off to the side of the trail, up from the take out. We put our PFD's and paddles under the canoe, and they were safe there. The take out was actually a dock, so it made it very easy to locate the trail, and to get ashore.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 6:13 pm 

When I leave my campsite for day trips, I try to i) clean everything up, hang my food, etc. ii) leave any non-scent miscellaneous items in my tent or neatly by the fire pit iii) make it known that the campsite is occupied (can hang a Canadian flag from a tree or something), iv) keep all valuables/electronics in my day pack, like my phone, car keys, etc.

I've never had any issues with things getting stolen, but just to be safe I don't leave my valuable items lying around at camp, they're always with me.

In terms of canoes at the bottom of the hike, same thing, it will never be an issue. When I hiked Silver Peaks last Thanksgiving, we literally counted 26 canoes at the landing point, it was crazy. Someone is more likely to take your stuff by mistake/confusion than as intentional theft.

The starting point for Silver Peaks from Bell Lake is at a dock like someone else said, so you definitely won't miss it. But saying that, it's a very non-ideal spot to leave canoes because there isn't too much space and it's mostly sloped ground. If you can get there early and tuck your canoe away somewhere in a corner, it would be much better.

From Thanksgiving:

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 7:14 pm 

I have no problem with leaving my stuff at my campsite during day trips. Aside from the fairly low number of passers-by, I figure no one in the backcountry wants extra gear to portage out, and the small items I'd be leaving at the site wouldn't be valuable anyway. Maybe theft would be more of a concern on an access lake with motorboats, I dunno. I just about never camp in such places.

I've hiked Silver Peak on a day trip from Bell Lake, but more recently I did it during a travel day, while passing between David and Clearsilver Lakes. So that time we left our canoes and all our gear off to the side of the David-Clearsilver portage. Shorter hike that time.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2019, 8:53 pm 

Thank you all so much for assuring me. We will take valuables with us and leave tent and other big stuff behind. Will post update if anything is taken :)