View topic - Flindt Landing to Allanwater - Portage Conditions, etc.?

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm 

Joined: July 26th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Posts: 1

Hope I've not left it too late for a trip by mid-August (long solo), into September! I'm interested in recent information on water levels and portage conditions (blowdowns, etc.) on a route from Flindt Landing to Allanwater via Manion Creek/Savoyard Lake into Seseganaga Lake, then north after a few weeks via Sunray into Kawaweogama Lake on the way to the tracks. The bulk of the trip in between would be spent further south in Seseganaga, with side trips into some of the other Brightsand lakes, and a check on a couple of possibilities for decent portage trails to the west into Vanessa Lake. Around three weeks in total.

There's a fair bit of information in posts here and a few elsewhere, but it's not really current (sorry), although still of value in a historical context. Flindt to Ses has been described as a pretty simple run, etc., but I'm wondering about the water levels in Manion Creek exiting Heathcote Lake and entering Savoyard Lake. Satellite imagery indicates a possibility of dry-ish creekbeds. And the last part before entering Seseganaga puzzles me. I just love the description on from April 2004: "After you get into Seseganaga (after a rather challenging wet 3/4 mile portage)." Perhaps I'm missing something, but I just don't see 3/4 of a mile of distance in the likely portage area. Maybe it's just me. It's probably just me.

As for leaving Ses enroute for Kawa and the train, I believe the water levels have an effect on some minor(?) rapids/swifts? before the first portage, and two more after the second, once into Sunray. Just trying to figure out whether it'd be a matter of running a swift or two, or lining, or? And the state of blowdown obstructions is something mentioned in other posts, but again, there's nothing even near recent.

The alternative is to go into Ses from Kawa, and then just do a return route, if the run from Flindt via Manion is too dry in mid-August. I know, I know, just go, and wing it. I guess I'm just being cautious, and feeling the toll of the years. Cue the violins.

There seems not to be much risk at this time of fire bans, and with the rain hammering the area recently water levels may prove to be adequate. Hopefully the mosquito situation will have abated somewhat by mid-August, but probably not as much were I able to delay until well into September. At least the long-range forecasts are predicting a warm September.

Sorry for the long post. Any assistance anyone might provide is most appreciated, and if there's anything I should know, or other ideas to consider, please feel free to let me know.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group