View topic - Widgawa Lodge to Nellie Lake travel time

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 9:34 am 

Hello everyone,

I will be travelling from Widgawa Lodge to Nellie Lake in September and was wondering for real time estimates how long it takes ( based on either route you took). Unlostify estimates is 5 hours going through 2 portages, does that make sense to you? We are intermediate paddlers and light packers so will be doing portages in one going.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm 

Depends on the winds and how efficient you are at portaging, but yeah, that's fair. I've done it in 4 something before - single carrying, not racing. Ports are steep-ish. Plan anywhere from 4-6hrs for varrying conditions and you should be fine.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 2:49 pm 

Just got back yesterday from that route. Day one from Widgawa to the farthest eastern site on Nellie was 4.5hrs. Lakes were calm (no tail or head wind) and we single carried the portages with a few short 30 second breathers on each.

We did two nights on Nellie and one on Grace so our last day was shorter, but the headwinds were brutal going from Grace back to Widgawa. The paddle alone (not including the portage) was about 3hrs straight of hard paddling

If you have any other questions about the lakes/sites etc. feel free to ask

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 3:09 pm 

Thank you both fora quick reply.
@TrippyThings what site did you stay on at Nellie?
Also, we have 10l gravity water filter that we use for drinking water usually. I inderstand Nellie os different than most lakes, so what would you recommend to get drinking water?

PostPosted: August 12th, 2019, 6:19 pm 

gavchik wrote:
Thank you both fora quick reply.
@TrippyThings what site did you stay on at Nellie?
Also, we have 10l gravity water filter that we use for drinking water usually. I inderstand Nellie os different than most lakes, so what would you recommend to get drinking water?

We stayed at the easternmost site, but were able to go on land and check out all 3 sites. The first site when you enter Nellie is a large exposed rock tip, and has gorgeous shallow waters surrounding the site. Tent spots aren't ideal and views are limited since it's nestled in a narrow, but it's still a pretty nice site.

The middle site in the bay is protected from the westerly winds and also has beautiful shallow waters in front of the site.. crystal clear and great for swimming. There's a chunk of quartzite by the water with a nice view looking north. The site is relatively small but is perfect for a small group... two flat tent spots and a sheltered fire pit (relative to the other two sites).

The last site (the one we stayed on) is definitely the largest and nicest. It's on a peninsula and the forest behind the site is very open. Lots of rock at the front of the site to enjoy the sunshine and easy access to the water all around. Walking about 50m in the forest to the east there's a huge chunk of quartzite looking down the east length of the lake which is absolutely breathtaking - 10/10 view, 10/10 swimming, 10/10 aesthetic... that chunk of quartzite alone makes the site incredible, and since it's on the east site it's sheltered from the western winds. The only downside about the site is i) limited sunset view, and ii) very exposed fire pit (to the wind and rain).

I use tablets to purify my water - Nellie is the clearest and cleanest water I've ever had from a lake and I'm sure I would have been fine without the tablets even... but that's a major assumption and I might be wrong so it's still best to treat your water.

If you want specific pictures of anything let me know. I'll have a vid up from the trip in the next week or so hopefully.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2019, 8:52 am 

Hi TrippyThings

Thank you for detailed description of the sites. Since we will be doing the travel from Widgawa to Nellie in 1 day leaving at 9-10am , I highly doubt that we will be able to secure the best site you described. I am sure we would still enjoy any site we get. Not sure if you checked but do you remember if the sites had nets for grilling that people leave often, just not sure if I want to carry one for 3km.

Please let me know if you have pics/videos when available so I can start getting excited.

Also did you do a hike up to the top of the mountain for Group of Seven view?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2019, 2:45 pm 

You may find this video interesting then. We have stayed at all sites on Nellie. We're swimming off the easternmost site in the video.
My personal fav is the westernmost site between Nellie and Carmicheal. I have done off trail hiking to the peaks around there. Super easy. Good way to access from the first 2 campsites or the Notch portage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kchw5oV3GWM

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 9:18 am 

Hey so vid and pics are up...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1sFksKyX6A

Photos: https://algonquinbeyond.com/blog/temp-p ... ey-photos/

The photos I just put on a temporary page on my website for now; they're not edited or resized or anything like that I just threw it up for you to see.

Also we did the travel from Widgawa to Nellie in one day and got lucky with an empty lake and first pic of sites... you never know who is packing up and leaving which site on which day :) but you're right that you'll enjoy any site you get for sure.

About the grilling nets, not that I recall but I also wasn't looking at the supplies at the sites I didn't stay at. I know at the eastern site we were on, there was one regular grill in the fire pit and a handful of others against the tree, but I didn't even look through those at the tree.

We planned on doing that hike on Nellie and the Carmichael Rock hike on Grace, but didn't get around to doing either of them. This can be a good resource for you though: https://ontarioadventurer.ca/2017/07/15 ... lake-loop/

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 8:21 am 

Thank you TrippyThings and Stajanleafs for videos and pictures, definitely makes me more excited :) TrippyThings your video even convinced a couple from Washington DC to drive up here to go camping with me! Thanks again!