View topic - Looking for 5-8 day solo canoe trip in Algonquin

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 11:31 am 

5 - 8 day solo canoe trip in Algonquin? I'm looking for something intermediate w/ no or easy rapids and short(ish) portages. I'm looking for a leisurely trip....Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JimClay on August 30th, 2019, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm 

Might I suggest a subject line of "Looking for 5-8 day solo canoe trip in Algonquin" or something similar?

Far more descriptive and helpful to readers.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 2:08 pm 

There are almost no rapids in Algonquin, at least not without a portage around them. The Petawawa downstream of Cedar lake is the only whitewater destination in the park. As for short portages - it depends on your definition of shortness. Any 5 days route will include a number of walks over one kilometer and some probably over two.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm 

Prospector16. Good advice!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 2:14 pm 

Eddy, ok, I guess that's something I'll have to accept & work with. Any suggestions for a trip?

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm 

Not really since there are dozens and dozens of possible options. One needs more criteria to narrow the field. I'll go on a solo trip in October through some lakes I'll definitely avoid in July. What season? What access point is/are preferable? Loop or there-and-back or one-way with shuttle? Do you favor larger or smaller lakes or rivers? How important is solitude or companionship? Anything else?

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 3:57 pm 

I'd be looking for early or mid September, access points are very flexible. I don't mind going out of my way or driving extra miles for a trip that is worthwhile. Smaller vs larger? well, I assume that with smaller lakes I'd prolly have more portages. I now know that portages are a fact of life but I guess I'd prefer to keep them to a minimum. Oh, solitude would be a premium And Loop or there-and-back or one-way with shuttle? There again, I'm flexible...Any info or advice is appreciated!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2019, 6:57 pm 

Mid September Algonquin is deserted by crowds though still inhabited by individual travelers. Major issue this year is low water levels. Avoiding creeks as much as possible will be sensible.
For relaxed journey I'd exclude otherwise excellent access points 2, 3 and 4 in favor of 27, 29, 1, 5 and 7. Travel between Opeongo - Big Trout and White Trout - Burntroot -La Muir and Hogan should be reasonably safe and involves only 2 major portages: Opeongo-Happy Isle and Merchant-Big Trout. I consider both to be on the easy side. In my opinion the easiest way to avoid portages is be prepared for them, physically if possible. And enjoy a walk in the woods. In Algonquin it's easy.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2019, 8:21 am 

North Tea - Kiosk - Brent is relaxed route with fewer ports and large lakes with some good scenery, but not a loop. You can plan side trips to extend the time spent in different places. Arranging a shuttle at the put-in or take-out could be an option if you don't want to retrace the route on the return.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2019, 11:51 am 

Eddy & Frozen, thanks for the info. I will check them out.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2019, 6:51 pm 

Take a look at the 7 day solo trip I did in 2017, it might give you some ideas: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-report ... x-islands/

It was mid-September, average travel time was 5-7hrs/day (total 33hrs travel time), total of 8.2km portaging (split over 21 portages), none that were too long. The lakes had beautiful campsites and I got to go deep into the park ie. Burntroot and do a nice loop full of different scenery (grassy bay vs. otterslide creek vs. the big lakes).

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for another 7 day, this time starting from access point #3 Magnetawan and going through Misty, White Trout, McIntosh, and back. It's a loop that goes through some nice lakes, 8.4km portaging total (nothing over 1km), and about 27hrs total travel time. I like that I'll be staying on big lakes with lots of campsites, but because it's September they won't be too busy.

Another good option would be arranging a shuttle and doing a trip that connect Smoke Lake to Rock Lake (or vice versa). There are a handful of different ways you could plan the route depending on the lakes you prefer to camp on, number of portages you want to do, etc. But passing through Big Porcupine, Bonnechere, Phipps, Louisa, Welcome, Clydegale, Pen and camping on any variation of those lakes would make for a really great trip.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2019, 10:27 am 

Thanks Trippy. That looks like a very good possibility!