View topic - Beg.route suggestions for Killarney or Algonquin

It is currently September 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am 

Hello,
Can someone suggest a 4 night route suggestion for either Killarney or Algonquin? I grew up taking trips to Killarney, Quetico and the Spanish river. So I’m not new to overnight canoe trips. I’m just new to being the navigator and trip planner! Lol.... my husband and I want to take our three kids who will be 12, 11 and 7. Husband has been on one trip like this with my family. We are looking for something that makes it difficult to take a wrong turn. Something that doesn’t have grueling portages and something that has minimal whitewater or at least a way to portage around.

Hoping to take this trip next August. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am 

George--Freeland--OSA and back. Prime country so book very early. A great hike to 'the Crack' if that interests you

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 9:24 am 

the barron canyon area may work for you guys.

The basic route starts at Grand L and goes through Stratton and St. Andrews towards the Barron River. The portages aren't very long, but some have some rough terrain. You can do it as a one-way trip if you have a second vehicle or a shuttle, or you can just go out and back.

At the end of Stratton L is High Falls which has a natural waterslide for the kiddos.

The scenery through the Barron Canyon is amazing! Camping on Opalescent or Brigham L makes it a fairly easy day trip. I would also recommend leaving time on the drive out (or in) to hike the canyon trail.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 8:53 pm 

Are you looking for a moving route or setting up a base camp for a few days?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm 

Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the suggestions. We plan to move each day but want to take it slow enough that the kids don’t feel like it’s a rushed process. Are there any rapids within reach? I would love to go to the French river again and hit the Dallas rapids but I keep hearing how populated it’s gotten! :( I’m trying to give my kids the experience where you only see a few fellow paddlers in a day.

We will be way too north to hit Georgia bay right? We use to make a few nights happen in the bay on our French river routes. I just love the half dome of starts at night!

Last edited by OfftheGrid on September 7th, 2019, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2019, 9:54 pm 

Down the Pickerel then up the Key is kind of a classic. (Lots of boat traffic on the Key though)