View topic - Suggestions? Train ideas leaving from Toronto 5-7 days

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 6:17 pm 

I was looking to squeeze in a last canoe trip this summer and was curious if anyone had any ideas for something logistically simple using the train, leaving from Union Station.

I'm aware of some of the common train drop off routes further north, Kopka River, Wabakimi park and the Chapleau River loop route from Elsas. Are there are any shorter routes further south? 5-7 days? Sept 12th-20th-ish. It'd be nice to get a bit beyond cottage country, although not closed to it if there is something. Did a trip in Chinginchi with the car last year and I suppose that is the sort of trip that would be nice, something not too far north, but still kind of remote feeling.

This is almost another question, but I've always been a bit confused about the logistics for trips out of Biscotasing, or how one arrives there, is that VIA rail? Can you get to Biscotasing directly from Toronto? or do you switch rail lines in Sudbury? and it's a different rail company? Wondering if the Spanish river might be more or less what I'm shopping for.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 7:19 pm 

The VIA train to Bisco runs from Sudbury to White River, The VIA train from Toronto does pass through Sudbury BUT not the same station (Sudbury Jct), you would need to shuttle from one station to the other and you would be on your own to do so (there is no established service even for just passengers).

Spanish is always a good choice depending on your definition of "remote", it is an official Park and you have to pay back country fees, to me that disqualifies it as remote but in mid-September it's probably 50/50 that you would see anyone else.

If you have a vehicle that is the way to go, drive to Agnew Lake Lodge, have them shuttle you back to Sudbury to meet the train, get off the train at The Forks or maybe Sinker Creek and paddle back to the lodge where your vehicle awaits you. If you have a few extra days you could take the train all the way to Bisco or alternatively have Agnew Lake Lodge shuttle you to Duke Lake and take 7 or 8 days to get back to the lodge (you don't get the train ride but also don't have to schedule things around the train departure date/time).

When time is tight and I need a week long trip the Spanish is always my fall back, I've paddled it more than a dozen times over the past 35 years, the alternatives are usually a much longer drive and require longer (more expensive) shuttles if even available and if not DIY shuttles with two vehicles.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 7:59 pm 

Check out the Passionate paddlers facebook page.
He did one from T.O. this summer (with some return issues)
I am sure he would be happy to help you out.
https://www.facebook.com/ThePassionatePaddler/
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 10:34 am 

Thanks recped for explaining that all, I appreciate it. Didn't realize it was a park with fees. As it turns out I wasn't able to squeeze in another trip this Sept, but it's still great to know, I can put this on the back burner for another year.

Thanks Jeff too for your response.