View topic - Trethewey to Makobe

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trethewey to Makobe
PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 9:20 pm 

My father and I have our annual fall trip planned for next week. Last year we did Solace and loved it! This year, we are heading to Makobe via Beauty Lake Road and Trethewey Lake. Our current itinerary would have us spend 4 nights on either Makobe or Banks. Looking for some general info:

1. What is the condition of Beauty Lake Road?

2. How are the portages between Trethewey and Makobe? Are they well signed and in good condition?

3. How is the route heading north out of Trethewey into Makobe? Specifically, Cranberry Creek between Schmalz Lake and the north arm of Makobe.

4. Does the portage between the north arm of Makobe and Banks Lake exist?

5. Is there a preferred campsite on Banks and/or Makobe?

6. Any scenery that is a 'must see' in the area?

This is the map I am making reference to with the above questions; http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland10.htm

Thanks in advance friends!

Post subject: Re: Trethewey to Makobe
PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 7:07 am 

Hi,
I was considering going in that way this year as well but you should be aware that much of this area was extensively scorched in the big fire of last year, particularly the east side of Makobe Lake.

https://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interacti ... =2018#iMap

That made me change my mind. I have canoed through recently burn't areas before and it was not a pleasant experience. If I were you I would try to find some firsthand reports from this year before going.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 9:43 am 

Q2 the portages through tea garden lake (south route) are better used and easy to find. The portages on the Cranberry creek route are adequately signed, especially travelling north, but they are less used and so are a bit overgrown.
Q3 Cranberry creek always has lots of water. It is a very sheltered pleasant paddle. The rock ledge at the start of the 270 portage into Makobe basically acts as a dam. That portage is very scenic in spring but has very little water over the falls at other times.
Q4 yes. When I was through 8 years ago there was a very large tangle of blown down trees that took me two hours to clear, but 4 years ago there were only minor blowdowns.

I agree with the comment by Kinguq, I would stay out of the burned area.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 12:06 pm 

There is a recent report on this area conditions on the ottertooth forum.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2019, 8:46 pm 

Thanks to all that have provided input.

Over the last several days, I have spoken with multiple sources in Temagami regarding the extent and impact of the fire in the Makobe Lake area. Unfortunately, there seems to be conflicting information regarding the current status of the area (in some cases even if that part of the Park is open).

It does sound like much of the eastern shore of the lake was scorched, including Banks Lake, but the exact impact to many of the campsites is unknown. I have a call in with the superintendent of the Park (Kevin), as I understand he has recently spent time ground truthing the area.

Either way, our most important priority is safety but it sounds like there are campsites that weren't affected by the fire. We are still aiming for Makobe and will determine exactly what the situation is and report back upon return.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2019, 10:44 pm 

I've done this route twice in the past four years, though not since the fire, so I can't comment on that. I did a reconnaissance solo trip in 2016?, scouting most of the campsites, etc., before returning the following year with my wife and some friends.

The portage from the access road to Trethewey is in good shape. One good island campsite on Trethewey, and a not-so-good one on adjacent island where there are remains of an old tent platform (from when it was used as an outpost). That's pretty much it for Trethewey campsites.

Northern route toward and including Cranberry Creek is quite nice and in decent shape. I did not do the P450 connecting the North Arm to banks lake, but rather paddled around. Of the 3 campsites near the large east island on Makobe, one is very good, two are poor. Campsite before the southern narrows is good. Campsites near bottom of narrows...they are joined by a trail. One is very good, the other is ok - maybe more tucked in if the weather is poor.

Banks Lake 1st site heading north is great, second is fair (slopey), 3rd is good. The 3rd site was in disuse and had gotten a bit gnarly. I spent some time trimming and cleaning it up. It is a bit tucked in and elevated.

Makobe River. We headed up one or two portages up the river. Highly recommended! Very scenic. Worth a night or at least a day trip.

Route back through Teagarden etc. was fine when I last went through. Camping along this route will feel more isolated and intimate. Some nice lakes along this route.

Keep in mind that while the portages were easily found and followed, you will get your money's worth for sure. A bit bushy & grown-in. A bit of schnarb to muck through here and there. Fun times! Makobe Lake is a gem. Including the trip up to Banks and the beginning of the Makobe River, it makes for a great week-long trip at a modest pace with time to explore.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 4:14 pm 

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Returned on Saturday from a great trip. Report posted on Trip Reports.