View topic - Is The Red Cross helping First Nations??

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 6:58 am 

Yesterday a girl came to the house stating she was from Red Cross. She said her spiel and then stated that the current Red Cross program is "Helping to bring fresh drinking water to our natives". Wow!!! they told you to say that??? I said maybe use First Nations instead of natives, it's a little more respectful. Her jaw hit my driveway and I noticed that she kinda wanted to leave, but I started a very easy conversation.

I'm not going to reiterate the entire ordeal, but I had some questions (not wanted to be a "jerk" in case she was legit). I'm no expert on this but she didn't seem prepared to meet someone with a limited knowledge of our First Nations. Most; if not all, of the answers I got were "I don't know".

She did state that the community(s) they were focusing on were "at least 2 hrs north". I kinda laughed a bit, I told her that for people who travel north 2hrs is basically right around the corner. I have a hard time believing we have First Nation communities 2hrs north without clean drinking water??? Better yet, I sure has F hope not.

Does anyone know of any Red Cross program helping our First Nations?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 7:30 am 

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/14961 ... 6174335835

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 8:18 am 

The native kids I taught for four years in Ontario's far north preferred to be called natives or Indians. Indigenous was a fancy white term, First Nations at term used to deal with lawyers and governments. To quote the kids, "We're native kids Mr. B." and "You're on the rez Mr.B. Get used to it." "We like to be called Indians, that's what we are."

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am 

Our friends in North bay just recently changed their name from the "North Bay Indian friendship centre" to North Bay Indigenous Friendship Centre.

We are also home to the Union of Ontario Indians. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Ontario_Indians)

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 2:50 pm 

The Red Cross helped immensely in all evacuation centres for the Kashechewan evacuees this spring. They were the first people we met on the ground when we checked in from the airport. They helped get everyone get rooms, essential supplies, and were there to provide any assistance they could. They help everyone, even natives.