View topic - Roughest access road you drove on this year?

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 11:56 am 

Had a rock knock my tailpipe off which in turn hit a brake line and dumped all the brake fluid on Rabbit Lake Road (Temagami region) this summer. Which got me to thinking.

What's the toughest roughest "4x4 only" road you've driven on to get to a put in this year? Or recently?

Can we nominate the toughest access road in Ontario?

Let's hear your stories.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm 

Mine was not in Ontario, although I did travel some good old logging roads that are pretty rough.

But by far the roughest 4x4 road driven to a backcountry lake this summer was in Nova Scotia, Dunmaglass Mountain road. It cuts and winds its way over the mountains linking Ardness and Antigonish. Some awesome Trout lakes and streams up there as well. But if you don't know the area, be cautious, it is easy to get lost back there.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm 

My cottage road - it is less a maintained than any forestry road or provincial park road I have ever driven. (and yes that includes the old bare rock, following the hydro lines roads)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm 

Last year - Trying to find a novel way to access the Nagagami River without taking a train or plane in. The old road we used was slowly reverting to bog in sections. Just after ice out, which no doubt didn't help. I was pretty sure we were stuck, when a good chunk of road slid out from underneath us while crossing a beaver dam runoff. Pulled the plug early and portaged 5.5km in - had only banked on 2.5km from where the bridge was removed. Ah well. Not a place you want to get stuck

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 12:16 pm 

Hmm, haven't gone out too far remote away from Sudbury, but the roughest road I experienced was definitely the road up to Wold Lake and Chiniguchi after the turn off for Paradise Lagoon. I now see why most people choose to portage in instead of drive there. My van did make it out unscathed, but there were a few rocks that hit the bottom of my vehicle, and a few hills that I almost wasn't able to get up. If I had a better off road vehicle, like a truck or jeep, it would've been no problem.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 7:48 pm 

Mine was just the regular run to Crotch Lake, North Frontenac Parklands.

You can get there most of the time in my VW Gold but sometimes it is much more suited to my Suburban.

In August the water level was so low that 4 or 5 vehicles could park out past the end which is normally underwater, but you need a 4WD to get back up if you drive down there it is a good shelf.

Love my Suburban but man it sucks gas compared to my Golf!

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 8:12 pm 

Well, last year, I drove down a road that lead to the southern end of thee Ottawa Temiskaming Highland trail. It was a hill that had turned into a stream.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 3:45 pm 

swimmer_sppe wrote:
Well, last year, I drove down a road that lead to the southern end of thee Ottawa Temiskaming Highland trail. It was a hill that had turned into a stream.

Is that at the "newer" section of the trail? My mishap also occurred driving into the trail but it was Rabbit Lake Road that took a bite out of my truck.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 4:35 pm 

This year - attempting to access the upper Madawaska via the hydro line in May. First ATV said you should be okay. Second ATV rider stopped us before we got too far into it. If it was my truck I would have turned around sooner.

Last year, on the way to the upper Gatineau we took some wrong turns on logging roads north of Ferme-Neuve . The road quickly deteriorated into a single track ATV trail. There was no place to turn around and we had to keep crawling along. At one point we had to inspect an incline to ensure the trucks wouldn't high point. Eventually the trail led to a clear cut where the road was established and we could link up to the proper path. Glad to have GPS, a good pick up with 4WD (that thankfully wasn't mine) and dry ground to get through it!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2019, 8:09 pm 

These are some great stories! Makes me want to get a truck...too bad I'm young and poor haha