View topic - Drowning river below Wabi jct

It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 12:10 pm 

Has anyone been on the Drowning below Wabi junction, or have any information on it?

I did the upper-portion of the river in 2018, and I'm interested in doing the rest of the river in the next year or 2. At a quick glance at the sat images, it looks like there are some rapids/falls in the first few miles, and not a whole lot else for the remainder of the run, but I know that is not a lot to go on. It does sort of correlate with dropping off the shield and entering the lowlands though.

As I understand it, egress can be arranged where it meets up with the Kenogami, in higher water. I believe that some folks that have run the Little Current have been picked up from there?

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 1:39 pm 

As far as I know, the pickup would have to be by float plane. I have run to the junction three times now, and know a couple of people who have carried on. From my somewhat faulty recollection of conversations, I believe there are a coupe of falls/rapids in the stretch after Waba river, but that it levels out and becomes fairly uneventful afterwards. However, as mentioned, I have not run that part of the river.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 2:03 pm 

Thanks Rob. I figured you'd chime in! I've been going back and forth between running the Esnagami or the rest of the Drowning in 2020. Probably can't go wrong either way.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm 

There is a way to connect to a logging road toward the end of the Esnagami to save a flight out. Know a guy who ran the Little Current and then paddled up the Esnagami to access his truck. He's pretty tough, and he said coming up the Esnagami was no picnic, so i wouldn't try it unless you are a bugger for punishment, or very frugal, and willing to do most anything to save a buck.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 4:50 pm 

If/When I run the Esnagami, I was planning on bushwhacking to that road if I could find an outfitter that would shuttle from there (I think it is Storm rd)? It comes pretty close to the river in a few places. You'd miss the last few miles of the Esnagami, but I'd imagine the shuttle would be quite a bit cheaper than a flight.

I think that was Quinn that poled up the Esnagami a ways after running the LC. If I recall it was a creative route hopping watersheds a couple of times. I would imagine that poling upstream could get pretty difficult.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm 

Yes, it was Quinn, he could probably give you details as to the shuttle person he used and the exit point.