View topic - 3-days in Ontario - route and outfitters

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm 

I'm fairly sure we need to be Kawartha or Algonquin. Killarney is too far a drive.
I've rented a car.
Do outfitters rent a bug tent?

PostPosted: November 13th, 2019, 6:38 pm 

Algonquin outfitters has bug shelters in their outfitting. You will need to buy bug jackets.

Algonquin outfitters is one of the premier outfitters and will provide everything including food. They can also help with route suggestion and will deliver canoes to your starting point.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 8:28 am 

For bug shirts - I highly recommend the original bug shirt - ad in the sidebar.

If you're thinking of Kawartha - https://www.unlostify.com has an excellent map. A quick in/out to Cox and Triangle would be a good weekend.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 9:43 am 

Hi Matt,

I see from your post you are a canoe coach and experienced paddler, so I will limit my advice to the differences between Scottish lochs and the Canadian Boreal forest .

In no particular order:

- Bugs – and there will be many…. Will consist mainly of mosquitos (not the ones you are used to) and black flies. Ticks have become an issue. Keep your pant legs inside your socks or consider gaitors.
- Bug Spray – forget the products marked “natural” that contain essential oils, they don’t work (IMHO) but appeal to folks who are uncomfortable with chemicals like DEET. Products like “Deep Woods Off” or Watkins work well. Get a spray as well as a cream or ointment.
- Clothing – the last week of June can still be cool in the evenings, bring a warm layer and a rain jacket/pants.
- Bug Shelter/Dining tent – this is a must. It needs to be large enough to hold 4 chairs. Also consider getting some “mosquito coils”. This is a product you light that smoulders and gives off something bugs don’t like. They are available at any outdoor store and will greatly enhance your time in the dining tent.
- Bear/animal awareness – your outfitter will no doubt provide you with the appropriate info. My only comment will be don’t freak out about bears. They are there for sure, but depending on which campsite you go to you will probably have more trouble with raccoons trying to get your food than bears ;)
- Tent – is for sleeping only. No food.
- Tarp – I’m guessing most outfitters will offer/provide a tarp option. Usually a 10 x 10 tarp for use over your kitchen area or sitting area. If they don’t, I would recommend buying a poly tarp at Canadian Tire or a hardware store along with some rope. Having a dry place to sit while enjoying your fire will also greatly enhance your experience.

Hope that helps and enjoy your trip!
Cheers,

MikeD.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 6:27 pm 

Good stuff, Mike.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 7:23 pm 

MikeD wrote:

- Tarp – I’m guessing most outfitters will offer/provide a tarp option. Usually a 10 x 10 tarp for use over your kitchen area or sitting area. If they don’t, I would recommend buying a poly tarp at Canadian Tire or a hardware store along with some rope. Having a dry place to sit while enjoying your fire will also greatly enhance your experience.

Sitting under a tarp in the rain is way better than sitting in your tent in the rain. Sometimes "tarp times" are the best times. If your tarp is set to about 8 feet, don't be shy about building a fire underneath to keep it protected from the rain ... as long as you keep it reasonably sized.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2019, 11:01 am 

Tarp + Rain + <insert_beverage_of_choice> + fire = Good Times!

MikeD.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 5:50 pm 

Dare I say it, but since Matt and family are comfortable with whitewater, they should consider the 3-day trip from Lake Travers to McManus Lake on the Petawawa River. It is substantially more driving, more complex, will require renting a lot more stuff, be more expensive in general, and require more work. But this is regarded as a world class trip on a remote and challenging whitewater river, with spectacular scenery. It would also be well timed with late spring water levels; not too high, not too low.

Sorry to ask now, but how old is everybody?

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm 

See here: https://www.algonquinbound.com/delivery ... ices.html/
And here: http://algonquinportage.com/deliveries_ ... uttles.php

Both of these companies are accustomed to handling international visitors, can rent you whitewater canoes, and everything else you might need. You will spend an entire day driving there, and another day driving back.

Also, a river guide can be purchased which will convince the group to portage more often than necessary. There are even guided trips.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2019, 4:43 am 

eberlym - 15, 17 and mid-40's.