View topic - New Route Map in N. Ontario: The Seeley Lake Route

It is currently September 24th, 2020, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 5th, 2020, 1:29 pm 

If you're looking for a fresh and challenging route this season, here's a basic map for a brand new route, roughed out in 2019.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecs0amwrcmab ... AVnEa?dl=0
A three-part video series of the trip is here if you want a better idea:
https://youtu.be/Cf-YubgAr9U

This 60km route from Wolf Camp Lake to the finish point on the north side of Highway 17 is very wild and features some seldom-traveled sections. In May 2019, we were likely the first to make a route of these lakes---at least in modern times---so some parts of the route have only begun to be roughed out.

I'm calling it the Seeley Lake Route. It's almost a loop...you can get away without a shuttle vehicle if you're willing to walk 8km down the highway.

It features scenic north shore hills on the southern part of the route, and flatter boreal lakes to the north. Intermediate canoe tripping skills are required. Despite the moderate distance, a bare minimum of five days should be allotted due to the difficultly of overland travel here, even knowing the information on this map. As a team of two, blazing many of the trails from nothing, it took us eight difficult days. Additional portages are needed in order to complete this route and connect "Broken Boot" and Martinet lakes, as our route through the creek north of Broken Boot Lake is not a good one.

There's more information about the route on the map. There are several alternate routes that could be attempted which are noted on the map as well. Hope someone has a chance to build off of our route...it's a fantastic area.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 9:20 am 

Nice. I watched all your videos of this route last year. (And even the year before when you were poking into some of the more southern lakes.) Great map!

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 4:48 pm 

Terrific and terrifying! After watching your video my trips felt like a Sunday walk in the woods. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 4:55 pm 

Wow, thanks for providing this information and teeing me up for this challenge! I've been wanting to explore the North Shore region of Lake Superior for some time now, especially after seeing your videos over the last year in places like the Steel river, the Marshall Lake loop and of course this route.

Between the Seeley and the Steel river, which would you say was more difficult, and also more rewarding in terms of remoteness, landscape esthetics and fishing?

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 11:43 am 

Thanks guys.

Dadadrop, wish I could steer you toward Seeley because it needs the work, but the Steel is the superior route in every way, unless you just want a shorter route. The Steel is almost triple the distance, though a good portion with the current. Seeley is a truly exceptional area, but the Steel still wins hands down.

Connecting the east and west sections of the Seeley route is probably the most remote between the two options, but overall they're both pretty remote. I've spent 16 days on the Steel system in total and only ran into one other party. Lower chance of running into anyone on the Seeley route, but the Steel should be quiet enough.

I would only choose Seeley if you want the thrill of exploring your own route (given that some of it still needs connecting). Seeley is a slog. The Steel is longer but well established, though still challenging.

The Steel route also loops...Seeley not quite. Fishing is better on the Steel too.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 3:57 pm 

I have a love/hate relationship with your videos. I love watching them and seeing all the great trips you do. I hate that I am stuck at a desk for most of the year and can only manage about 4-6 days for any kind of wilderness trip..

So I admire you and am extremely jealous simultaneously.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 9:24 am 

If you map it, they will come....

Nicely done as always man.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 9:48 pm 

Would it annoy you, then, to know that I'm always frustrated that I can't get out more? :lol:

We paddlers can never be satisfied lol.

Thanks Brad!

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 4:23 pm 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Would it annoy you, then, to know that I'm always frustrated that I can't get out more? :lol:

In a word.... yes. :-?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2020, 12:34 pm 

Excellent videos, watched them all a few times..lol. I must admit though, I am still leaning towards the Pic river route you did last year and opening up some of those portages you started. That route looked like a really fun trip, minus the bushwhacking of course, but can't have it all I suppose and it will only get better after a few more trippers open it up a bit.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: February 19th, 2020, 1:12 pm 

Right on CC, that's an awesome route. Keep in mind that was the Little Pic, rather than the Pic, which we also paddled a bit last year but it's much different trip. South of Manitou Falls, the Pic is unobstructed for close to 100km I believe, all the way to Superior. Biigtigong First Nation is planning to clear the *Little* Pic next year which is exciting. I would go in after them if possible.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 12:55 pm 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Biigtigong First Nation is planning to clear the *Little* Pic next year which is exciting. I would go in after them if possible.

Good to know Jon, thanks, that will make it allot easier for sure.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey