View topic - Big Trout Lake and Fort Severn flights

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 3:23 pm 

We are looking to paddle the Fawn and Severn from Big Trout Lake to Fort Severn in summer, 2020. Would prefer to bring and use Royalex canoes. Two to four people; one or two canoes. Have started to look at potential flight options and charters. Pickle Lake looks like a good driving destination to fly out of. Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 5:36 pm 

Contact Wasaya Airlines.

Your best option would be if they can fly your boats/gear into Big Trout Lake as Cargo (maybe from Thunder Bay or Pickle Lake) and then you can passenger on the scheduled flights.

For the boats you might be restricted as far destinations, Wasaya have a Hawker cargo plane but it may not go to all the communities on a regular basis.

Float plane out of Pickle Lake would not be cheap even to Big Trout, getting out from Fort Severn that way would be really expensive.

Please post back with any info you can accumulate, I've considered doing the Winisk or Fawn-Severn for a long time.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:08 am 

It seems like every time I chase the idea of doing a route that ends in the bay area, I come to the conclusion that it would save a lot of money and effort to use a pak canoe. You avoid the tie on fees and it enables you to use the regularly scheduled flights in and out of first nation's villages instead of the expense of some very long rides in a float plane.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:31 am 

Good points both posters, and thank you. Yes, it may come down to a pak canoe. I did talk briefly to Wasaya person in Pickle Lake and they described the getting to Big Trout as you stated. They were less certain about getting back from Severn and suggested it might well require a charter (which, as you noted, can get real pricey).

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm 

One other option to get boats out of Fort Severn. I'm not sure if it's it's possible but if the barge service from Moosonee goes to Fort Severn you can get them to pock up your boats, take them to Moosonee, put them on the Ontario Northland weekly freight run. ON can take your stuff from Moosonee to North Bay which is a relatively quick pick-up point from Toronto.

I haven't investigated this closely but it might be possible.

https://mtlmoose.ca/services/

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 12:56 pm 

That one is better for Ontarians from the east. We are, er, Yanks coming north via Thunder Bay from midwest US.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 1:26 pm 

Yeah the barge or ocean shipping from the real far north only work if you are reasonably close to the destination ports.

An alternative that I've considered for these types of trip is to use a beater boat that can be left behind at the end of the route.

It was easier just a few years ago when the Northern Stores were all serviced by third-party carriers. About 5 years ago the Northern Stores (in Ontario at least) bought their own cargo plane, they won't handle third-party cargo and companies like Wasaya no longer service these communities on a regular basis with their larger aircraft.