View topic - Elliot Lake Area: Matinenda, Blind River and Mississagi Park

It is currently May 30th, 2020, 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 10th, 2020, 10:01 am 

I'm posting this for anyone who can recommend 2-3 day trips in the Elliot Lake area (Matinenda, Blind River and Mississagi Parks). I will be moving to this area and so I'm trying to do some research. Digital maps or websites would be of assistance as I try to plan a summer of canoe trips.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm 

Plenty of options along the "Figure Eight" Route between Donald and Flack Lakes. You can do the whole trip as a week to 10 day kind of trip, but it can also be broken up to weekend long trips. Look up the Mace Lake loop. I've also posted about it here; https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 07&t=47886

There's also the Quirke and Whiskey route. You can check that route out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LAqtQjyGHM Video credit to Brad from Explore the Backcountry.

There's also the Mackenzie trail in Mississagi PP if overnight hiking is your thing. There are many other options that I'm not even listing here that I'm sure are beckoning to be paddled.

PS. Congrats on moving up here :D

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 10:07 pm 

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Quirke and Whiskey route is a great start!
Now I just have to find a used canoe because the pandemic has made it impossible to pull mine from storage.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 9:29 am 

I was planning a trout fishing trip in Mississagi in May. I suspect that the Ontario Parks closures will still be in place. Any suggestions in the area where we could still backcountry canoe & camp? I was trying to avoid big lakes like Dunlop and Quirke as I will have the kids with me.

Thx