View topic - Info on Hambone, Daisy, Brice lakes ( Algonquin)

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 1st, 2003, 7:14 pm 
Anyone with information on acess 3 in algonquin park would be great. I'm thinking of an easy 3-day paddle inthis area. Friday-Sunday with new paddlers.My wife and I are experienced but will be paddling with two novice paddlers. Info on portages campsites and fishing an asset! thanks in advance. :D [list=][/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2003, 7:18 pm 

Go spend 2 nights in Ralph Bice Lake. You won't be disappointed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2003, 7:37 am 

Ralph Bice would be a great place to take first timers. The portages are not difficult at all. They are quite level and short. Daisy and Little Trout are also scenic little lakes well worth checking out and only a little more effort required to access.
You could still make camp on Ralph Bice and day trip into either ( or both )

Trout season closes at the end of Sept. and I'm not too sure if there are any bass in these lakes. Have not caught any myself, so I think the fishing opportunities will be limited. Still, I think you will find it a rewarding experience overall.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2003, 11:08 pm 

I last camped on Ralph Bice lake back when it was still called Butt Lake.Don't ya hate when a place that is steeped in traditions modernizes something.They could have worked out a compromise here and kept the old name just by combining it with the new : so you could either have Ralph's Butt Lake or Bice's Butt Lake,both of which sound better than ralph bice lake and I mean no offense to Ralph who really does deserve the honour of something being named after him.
Nice area.I loved our campsite on Bice lake-it had a well constructed log couch /would seat 4,and tables-I love that.You know of all the conveniences from home you either have an adapted version of or you do without the only other feature all campsites should have a fixed version of is some sort of work table.Along with a thunderbox and a fire pit shelfspace should be something you could make and leave at a campsite in a park.Many have and it always is an asset.
Nice day trip from Bice to Little Misty.Suposed to be some fish in Bice too.Come to think of it maybe that's why they didn't combine the names -wouldn't sound right to say there's good fishin' in Ralph's Butt .
daisy was quite nice too and you can explore along the Petawawa as much as you want here.Daisy has a real cozy feel to it being a smaller and thin lake.

Post subject: Daisy rocks
PostPosted: September 4th, 2003, 7:39 am 
I just spent 5 days in that area. The best campsite we had was on Daisy on the large island (the site at the tip of the island). It has a great swimming rock area nice firepit and lots of space. The only problem is that firewood is hard to come by. Daisy isn't hard to get to from Access pt. 3 - portages not too tough. A great lake to explore too!

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2003, 1:30 pm 

We went through there last November (2-4) with snow falling and the shallow parts of the lakes icing up. I concur with the others that this is a great put-in to show new paddlers what its all about. The only caution (for the novices) is that Ralph Bice is just big enough that wind can create some difficulties. Maybe Xine's Daisy Lake suggestion would make better sense? Narrower lake . . . better protection.

Post subject: Bice break ins.
PostPosted: September 24th, 2003, 11:53 am 
I just returned from a three night round trip from Bice to Big Trout. People have already recommended places to camp, but I want to suggest that you be wary of having your vehicle broken into at the access point.

I was broken into in the mid 80s when the permit access was on the road
and Garnet, the attendant, was seen drinking in Kearney by locals who then
went on a smash & grab. Garnet was let go, but since then the MNR has
amalgamated 3 access points into one permit office 40km away. Back in
1997 a hundred cars were smashed at Bice on the first long weekend. The
MNR knowlingly increased break in likelyhood and lied to me that the OPP looks after policing the access. I phoned the local OPP and they assured me they really don't have time to go in there. In the old days, often older couple would be set up at an access and happy for the work, friendly with people and offering better service hours.

I saved $30, got no ticket, and the parking space next to me was marked by
recent window glass from the last incident. Don't pay, and good tripping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2003, 5:32 pm 

Tell me Tripper- ferg How was your trip? I am going up Tuesday night for a 5 days solo trip. Are the fall colors at their peak yet? And are the nights very cold? :)

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 11:17 am 

Has anyone done any fishing on hambone lake?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 11:35 am 

Stephen86 wrote:
Has anyone done any fishing on hambone lake?

It's not too bad when the water is cold early or late in the season, but can become a little more challenging when it warms up in the summer months.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 1:58 pm 

Within the recent past, 4 years, I did both routes. For first timers and novices the better route to follow is Ralph Bice. You should easily make it to Ralph Bice, set up camp and relax. In our trips we must drive a long distance so we pick up our permits late one day, camp at the put in and get on the water early the next morning. After you arrive at your site get set up and breathe deep. There are interesting side trips available too. Overlooked is a side trip into David lake, although the take out for the portage can be a challenge for some, the lake is overlooked as a path to remote areas. As pointed out above, the best fishing is early on when the water temps are quite cool. Later in the season, not so good. If you want to use one of the spectacular campsites plan on picking up your campfire fuel along the shore before you get to your destination.

Dam our politicians, not our rivers.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2020, 7:21 pm 

In the fall of 2015 we made a loop trip out of Access #3 through Daisy, Petawawa R., Queer, Ralph Bice and back. We planned 3 days but cut it short to 2 days. If you want a full trip report, respond to this message.

Spiderman