View topic - All the fun gone out of Alqonquin?

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm 

Was checking out a route tonight, and noted that now you have to book not just by the lake but also by the site! When did this happen? What they hey!!!! No site description, you can't tell if it is is by a swamp, has a landing place or a place to hang a tarp! Rather than choosing a site based on your needs of the day (wind from the west? storm coming?), you MUST make the random anonymous site you have chosen on line? Isn't this too much like Hotwire?I know this has been done in Massasauga for a while, but at least they have pictures of the site (now only 1, rather than 2 or 3), and Killarney now has no pictures! Sad state of affairs...

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 8:18 pm 

It's all part of the master plan, what Harris failed to fully accomplish Ford will try to finish off.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 5:07 am 

Cheryl from what I see is they have only made the lakes numbered, not the specific campsites on the lakes.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 6:37 am 

I like site reservation system, but they should have had site description and pictures of course. Whatever government touches it becomes not useable or too expensive. Maybe it's a good idea to start section in this forum where we put sites picture and descriptions ourselves.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 8:24 am 

Might be possible to characterize individual campsites with hi-res sat photos such as those on topographic maps Ontario... beaches, swamps, rocks, tree cover should be identifiable. Sharpen up air photo interpretation skills, start cracking the books.

I've seen some really bad sites in APP, places I'd never want to stay at. Staying at these will cost the same as paying for prime sites... maybe the Ford administration could price the prime sites higher, along with the fee increases they are planning.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 9:53 am 

So far I found that Bing Maps have best aerial pictures for Algonquin, or at least better than Google satellite maps

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 10:01 am 

Bill P wrote:
Cheryl from what I see is they have only made the lakes numbered, not the specific campsites on the lakes.

This ..

You are talking AP backcountry right padding or hiking.. ?

I only see lake selection, no site selection..same as always..

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 1:44 pm 

Booking sites would be a MASSIVE improvement in my opinion!

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 2:31 pm 

I went into the reservation system, backcountry, and zoomed in on North Tea. I could not proceed without selecting a site. It is interesting, as there are many, many sites on N. Tea E and N. Tea west, but it only shows 1 site on east and 1 site on W reservable, so I wonder if I am missing something? When you go to Backcountry Registration it only has a few places available, (like French River), and you are only asked to select Zones.

568 - North Tea West
Nightly Fees
$11.00
/Adult
$8.80
/Senior
$5.00
/Youth
$5.50
/Dis-Adlt
$2.50
/Dis-Yth
$0.00
/Child
Additional fees or discounts may apply.
Maximum Capacity
Double Site
No

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 3:09 pm 

Just helps you narrow down your area to find a campsite Cheryl. When you reserve on north tea you pick either the West end or east end of the lake. Then you can stay at any site from the many at either end. I would not like heading to the east end of North tea and then back track deep into the West end to find a site. Essentially they make North Tea lake into two lakes.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: May 17th, 2020, 10:48 am 

Well, knock me down with a feather! Thanks Bill! I had read elsewhere that there had been a movement to book by site and assumed the new screen was it. It was the number that confused me as in "528" is a site number, not and area number!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 6:17 am 

I haven't seen any lakes where it asks you to pick a specific site

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 8:48 am 

It's a misnomer on their part. It says "site" number but for Algonquin it refers to the entire lake and it is still first-come, first-served providing you have booked that lake (site!). I think the confusion lies with a standardized system for all parks, and some parks like Kawartha Highlands requires you to book a specific site.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 11:59 am 

All valid arguments Cheryl, But there is also a valid argument for the site specific booking, including on the backpacking trials. You can spend hours on a big lake paddling around looking for that last un-taken campsite which can be dangerous for the novice especially if approaching darkness, or sometimes people are wind bound and didn't leave and now you have no site on the lake you booked and have to pick a spot on shore and break camp in a non designated spot.
Yes, a picture of the site would be nice if included, especially for 'hangers' who may pick a site with no suitable trees. Perhaps they are working on that and just haven't sent rangers out to every site to get a picture yet. I know , high hopes for sure and wont hold my breath on that happening, they would have to re-blaze a good portion of black and green portages to do it.

As someone who backpacks 50% of the time as well, some sites can be an 1/2 hr apart by walk, and you can circle an entire lake on foot taking you hours to the site you prefer only to find it occupied, and then have to walk back hours to find one that is free. Big time waster, especially if its at the end of the day. I think overall it is not a bad idea, saves time and is safer overall for the majority of people.

If the lake is not busy, you can always stay at a nicer site then what you booked, and be prepared to move if the reservist shows up, if they don't no harm done.

EDIT, Went to the site, it is unchanged and only booking by lake, not site. Although I do notice it only tells you available or not, not how many sites are left (6/10 etc). unless I didn't drill deep enough, I did like that option to see how booked a lake is.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey