View topic - Route idea? must end up nearish Chapleau

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 1:32 pm 

This is a preliminary post as we begin our planning for the summer. Looking for 2 routes that have the following criteria:
-we have 7 days in early Aug and then 1st week of Sept, including leaving from Barrie, and must have an no more than a 5-hour drive after taking our to either of Sultan or Chapleau,
-Only 2 of us, one of us is babying a knee to delay knee replacement (so would prefer to avoid unmaintained routes like Nabakwasi River Canoe Route). Need a loop.
-prefer not to take our Whitewater boat (that 100 lbs is hard on the knee), but have a boat that will handle class II and big waves, but really doesn’t like having the Kevlar torn off the bottom.
Crown land, park or non-operating park. All ideas welcome. Help us dream!

PostPosted: May 24th, 2020, 2:27 pm 

You mentioned the Nabakwasi River Canoe Route. I did this route less than two years ago. While it's not officially maintained, all the portages were good with a couple caveats- I wasn't able to find one of them in the series at the south end of the loop, one of them is now partially clear-cut, and the one on the south of river around Togo Rapids is long, but very flat and open. I'm not sure how bad your knee is, but this loop might be for you! My trip report is here: https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic. ... 08&t=47052

PostPosted: May 25th, 2020, 7:26 pm 

Cheryl how about if you drive to Biscotasing hop on the train to the narrows at the top end of Ramsey. From there you can canoe into Biscotasing lake then down into Indian or as far as Mozabong. Then back into Indian over to mishap creek or just into Houghton bay and back to Biscotasing. About an hour and half or so to Chapleau.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: May 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm 

Bill, that is a great idea! I will have to check in to train schedules further on for consideration. Right now there are no dates lists at on any date in Aug. https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-d ... /schedules unless I am reading it wrong...

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 5:23 am 

The train may not be running because of covid. But you still could start in Biscotasing and do a semi loop with a bit of back tracking. Both Kevin Callan and Northern scavenger have utube videos of the area. Only fees would be parking in Biscotasing. No park fees West of Biscotasing

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 7:22 am 

If I remember, it was about 3.5 hours from there to Chapleau, so that would be doable. Will have a closer look. I had looked at a larger route out of Bisco but not this one. Thanks!

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 8:31 am 

If train is runnning you could get on train in Chapleau , go to Bisco or Ramsey lake, then return to Chapleau. No driving on gravel roads.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 8:52 am 

Yup, that would be best. Budd car always opens up best options