View topic - Chapleau-Nemegosenda loop

It is currently July 4th, 2020, 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 31st, 2020, 8:18 pm 

I am looking at options in this Covid world and thinking a river trip that needs only a short shuttle would be good. All the trip reports for this route say that the portages are difficult because of no maintenance, but I haven't found any recent information. Recent, as being in the last five years. Can anyone help with this?

PostPosted: May 31st, 2020, 8:58 pm 

I did the loop in 2016. Most portages were in fine shape. I did not have a map with them marked, so I had to look around a bit, but once I found them they were mainly good. The only problems were on the Nemagasonda side, close to the south end where there are lots of other people in the bush. They seem to like removing the flagging tape. Look for small cairns of three or four rocks on the ground, or small saplings broken over at about four feet above the ground. Canoeists had been finding other ways to mark the trails, especially where they follow bush roads for a few 100 meters and then leave the road. I have a trip report on here somewhere. The pics are probably not available since they were on a third party site. I will see if I can do something for you about that.

You do not need a shuttle at all. There is a portage back into Chapleau lake that follows a snow mobile trail. It is at the point where the lakes are closest together. I will see if I can find my maps.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2020, 12:31 pm 

OK, I went looking for the trip report and did not find it on this site, so I looked on my computer. I found it but the last day had not been written yet. I guess I never finished it. I will try to pm you.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2020, 1:44 pm 

There is a set of maps, two trip reports, and notes available to be borrowed from the Wilderness Canoe Association Map Library, which is here:
https://www.wildernesscanoe.ca/content/ ... ap-library

Also this trip appears in Nastawgans Vol. 42, No. 2 Summer 2015, and Vol. 37, No. 1 Spring 2010 where the first line is “Have you ever read Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness?”

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2020, 6:57 pm 

Thanks eberlym. Since I posted the original question I had managed to find the 2015 Nastawagan online. My collection of Nastawagan's started shortly before that but is missing that one.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2020, 10:06 am 

We did this trip in 1987, it was a great trip from start to finish. We loaded everything on the train in Sudbury , an hour west the train stopped on a siding for a freight, everyone jump off to pick blue berries.
Once in Chapleau (about five hours later) it was a short portage down to the river.
Because of time limitations we ended at Elsas on Kapuskasing Lk. and took the northern train back to Capreol, just north of Sudbury.
The train portions where almost as fun as the canoey bits. We found the portages at that time to un-maintained with lots of blow down and some took a bit to find.
Always meant to do it again. We were three canoes, to get across Kapuskasing lk. we rafted up and did a very fast sail across...….
At the confluence the Chapleau turns into the Kapuskasing River, paddle down to the next portage the rapids where awesome.
Cheers,
Ken