View topic - Big Porcupine vs Bonnechere

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 16th, 2020, 3:54 pm 

I am planning a 4-night trip for late August or September. Two of the nights will be spent on either Big Porcupine Lake or Bonnechere Lake. I have no previous experience on either lake.

Which lake would be the better option?
I would love to hear the pros and cons for both lakes.

Thank you!

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 8:10 am 

I found that whole area to be really nice. There is a very impressive campsite on Bonnechere. As you enter the lake from Big Porcupine, bear to the left . The campsite is located at the end of the finger of land on the right. Big and open , with good views. At least it was .

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 9:25 am 

Both Lakes are nice but both can be busy due to the limited portaging required and being off Hwy 60.

Bonnechere has 6 sites but only 4 are bookable..and there are 4 nice sites on Bonnechere IMO ( 1 of those 4 is small though) so you are assured a good site.

Almost all of the better sites on Big Pork are near the portage to Bonnechere( Southern section of the lake)

I'm looping through there starting tomorrow.. I'm staying on Phipps in the that area though. single bookable site on that lake so you have the lake all to yourself. ( 2 sites on Phipps so you have your choice)

Kirkwood and Pardee are the same as Phipps.. 2 sites only 1 bookable.. lake to yourself..

All 3 of those lakes have at least 1 very nice site IMO.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm 

Thanks for the replies!

I have very little experience in Algonquin. How do you come to know that Bonnechere only has 4 bookable sites (despite having 6 sites)? It would be useful to have similar knowledge for other lakes...

Which 4 sites on Bonnechere are the good ones?

Thank you

PostPosted: June 17th, 2020, 7:28 pm 

Hey Ranchero

So the old reservation system used to show the number of available sites per lake. They took that away and have hinted at adding it back but nothing yet. I have checked out most of the sites on the lake and if you head over to this page(good resource) IMO 1,2 4 and 6 are good.

https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-campsites/

2 is the site mentioned above. Its always been known to me by a nickname. The Gaga site.

Hope that helps

Shawn

PostPosted: June 18th, 2020, 9:08 am 

Bonnechere is in an interesting area, being close to Cradle which is said to have the clearest water in the park, entirely spring-fed. A very short one-minute port will show the difference between the greenish water of Bonnechere and the clear blue in Cradle. IIRC, there may be a rope swing for jumping in and worth snorkeling on a hot summer's day.

Bonnechere also has several wetlands which might attract wildlife and the creek leading to Upper Head might be navigable, depending on water levels and beaver dams. Last I heard was water levels were down, maybe a dry summer this year.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 7:13 am 

The P590 from Ragged into Big Porc is steep.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 8:01 pm 

My vote goes to Bonnechere. Like ShawnD said, the odds of getting a nice site are really high, and the Gaga site is a 10/10 if you're lucky enough to snag it. The sites are also relatively spread out so you're not too close to neighbouring sites... and if you're in the north half of the lake, you don't face the other sites so you have full privacy. Big Porc isn't bad but there's more traffic, the sites are mostly closer together, and it's overall busier.

That's actually my site referenced above algonquinbeyond.com so if you have any questions about the campsites etc. feel free to let me know.

Also agree that the stretch of Phipps to Pardee is nice as well, especially since you're the only reservation and have a guaranteed choice of site. I've camped on Phipps and Pardee and have checked out both sites on Kirkwood... Phipps is the best of the three IMO.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 6:52 pm 

Big Porc has a nice campsite on the northwest side of the island, but is is heavily used. Has two fire pits, one exposed and one sheltered. The campsite on Bonnechere on the finger is really nice, one of the nicest in the south. Last time I was there the thunder box had a really nice view