View topic - Threenarrows Unofficial Portage KPP

It is currently August 9th, 2020, 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm 

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has recent information regarding the "unofficial portage" on the south end of Threenarrows (marked as 895m on Jeff's Map) in Killarney?

We are coming from South through Kirk Creek from Great Mountain and heading to the Pig. Was wondering if it would be faster to stay south and take this unofficial portage rather than head west through York and paddle all of Threenarrows.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 26th, 2020, 3:41 pm 

Coming from Kirk Creek, it would almost certainly be faster to paddle the north end of Threenarrows and avoid that portage - I have it marked as 910m on the Unlostify map and I assume we're talking about the same one. I could find almost zero information on that portage when we paddled Threenarrows last year, other than "Don't do it. Both ends are sucky mucky quicksand for quite a while, it hasn't been maintained in decades, and oh yeah, it was closed for a reason".

If you're comparing that 895m portage to the 630 and then 790 into and out of York, then yes, it is for sure faster to avoid that closed portage. To be fair though, I've never seen that portage.

The north side of Threenarrows is quite scenic, too.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm 

Did it about 20 years ago, and it was noted on my map at the time as something like 575m (maybe a bit longer actually). I remember it being very straightforward and flat. Easy-Peasy.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2020, 2:00 pm 

Thanks PacketFiend and canoeguitar for your response.

Seems like there is no consensus on this. i'm heading out next week and will update the community on this portage.

Anyone have a scouting report on the bugs in Kilarney? Generally, I would suspect it to be manageable but 2020 has throw us some many curve balls I don't know what to expect anymore.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2020, 5:56 pm 

I was in Killarney for 5 days at beginning of July and the deer flies were bad during the day - mostly on the small creeks (like Kirk for example)...open lakes they were fine. Every night the mosquitoes came out right at sunset (which at that time of year wasn't until about 10:30) but then they went away by about 11pm. The only other time mosquitoes were bad was on the 2.5 km portage from Helen into Nellie.

Heads up that the upper section of Kirk creek from Little Mountain into 3 Narrows is kind of brutal from my experience back in early July. There's several beaver dams that you need to carry over, as well as a downed trees. The creek is also very sinuous, with the the sharp meander bends really taking away your forward momentum. We opted to paddle the entirety of 3N rather than do the two ports through York L. It's probably about the same time-wise but I prefer paddling especially when it's very hot.