View topic - White Squall Paddling Center Is No More!

It is currently October 25th, 2020, 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 4:41 pm 

I know things don't last forever but it hurts when they go.

Three summers ago I rented a kayak from White Squall's Paddling Center north of Parry Sound. We also made use of one of their vehicles to shuttle our three kayaks up to Chikanishing for the beginning of a nine-day paddle back down to Snug Harbour. In the early 90's I had also rented kayak there for a trip through the Minks and McKoys.

COVID-19 Alert!  While the White Squall Outdoor Store in Parry Sound is still open,  the Paddling Center and the rental kayak/canoe operation ended after 34 years in business.

Get in touch with White Squall to find out more: 705 746-4936    info@whitesquall.com

https://www.whitesquall.com/about-us/

Last edited by true_north on June 30th, 2020, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 4:51 pm 

A sad sign of the times. Thanks for the news.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 6:51 pm 

no words. So sad.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 10:08 pm 

They will be missed.....

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 6:40 am 

Hm, well, there is no mention of COVID being responsible for the partial closing, maybe I missed it.

I'd think that the business would be secure long-term, since paddling is an outdoor activity that should allow distancing to prevent virus transmission, much more than crowded sports events, concerts, etc.

In the news this morning was the forecast that vacationing activity will be down 20% this summer, with families staying in the safe bubble of the car, driving to their vacation spots... flying, rail and cruise ships are out.

The closed border will keep American money away, but Canadian should still be circulating. Esp with parents busy taking care of their not-in-school kids, outdoor activity should be a prime option.

Bike sales are way up since the COVID mess started, I'd see demand for paddling being more or less the same. Should be up. Last visit to the Toronto waterfront, lots of paddlers in the water, although mostly kayaks.

Maybe after 35 years of operations, it's time to downsize and that's the reason?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 6:56 am 

Wow!
Didn't see that coming.
We have a cottage off Killbear so drive past White Squall to and from the marina. We have given them business for years, renting bits and pieces and buying used kayaks and pfd's for the overflow crowd that sometimes show up. The store in town wasn't the same as mooching around on their property.

While i have no personal knowledge, I'm with Frozen thinking this may be coincidental timing for other reasons.

Bruce

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 7:43 am 

frozentripper, you've got it right when you write Maybe after 35 years of operations, it's time to downsize and that's the reason? An extrapolation on my part though it may have been the final straw that prompted a decision that was coming anyway.

In any case, it is sad to see the great service they provided end - they did a great job over the years. Thirty-five years is a pretty good run! May they enjoy the reduced workload!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 9:29 am 

I am fairly sure I read last fall that there center was closing up. from my understanding they just wanted to downsize the business to a more manageable size. I believe that covid had nothing to do with this case. None the less its still sad.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2020, 10:26 am 

I heard the same thing over a year ago. Unable to sell that part of the business and wanting to downsize and retire, White Squall would be closing.