View topic - St. Raphael Provincial Park

It is currently August 5th, 2020, 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 26th, 2020, 3:05 pm 

Just back from two weeks of paddling the St. Raphael PP loop. Moose, Caribou and Timber Wolves - oh my, what a lovely and lightly traveled route. I suppose with the fly-in fish camps all quiet this may have been an unusually light traffic season.

The few required portages are easy to find, campsites are infrequent, scenery is outstanding. No fishing for me, but with the fly in lodges in the area the chances are fishing is pretty good.

I did GPS map the portages and campsites that I used if any future paddlers are interested.

Darl-h

PostPosted: July 26th, 2020, 3:35 pm 

I could use a .gdb or .gpx file for your route.

I've started a few trips off of hwy 599 but all on the east side of the highway. It's a great area for paddling and as a non-operating park no ridiculous fees.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2020, 7:07 pm 

I'll post a link to the GPS data once I clean it up. I'll be back on the road to Pickle Lake again, probably next year on the Little Savant River via Fitchie Lake and Neverfreeze Creek.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2020, 8:27 pm 

I did the Savant Lake / Savant River route starting from Harris Lake and going north to Osnaburgh Lake (and then down the Albany) also a nice route. There were a couple of motorboats on Savant Lake and fireworks from the Lodge on Canada Day but otherwise saw nobody.

Lots of great routes north of Pickle Lake as well.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm 

Here is a KMZ Google Maps version of the route.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1kfieT9 ... haring_eip

Here is a CalTopo link, can be viewed with no account :
https://caltopo.com/m/RLGQ

Message me direct and I can email a GPX file (.gpx file are not an allowed attachment filetype).

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 1:46 pm 

Great to hear! We cleared most of the portages when we went through last summer (save stuff we ran on the Miniss River - curious to know if you found ports there, or ran/lined). Also cleared out campsites (lots of blowdowns and you couldn't get tents in half of them). See you stayed at a few we did, so I know you were treated to some gems!

We only saw people on 3 occasions on our 9 day trip through there. So even in a regular season, there is minimal use by the lodges. Fishing is outstanding for walleye and pike. Fish for dinner was always guaranteed within 5 mins. Dad's just finishing up a trip video.

Our trip map as well, should anyone be interested (there's pics attached to some locations).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1z38bUwwJyEGPdFzplkXplsOPFl2C7Vdy&usp=sharing

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 4:16 pm 

Hey Brad - you have been everywhere in Ontario!

My wife did find the portages on the Miniss River as it heads to Miniss Bay, she walked them while I solo our boat and gear down. There was lots of water in the river but still some rocks and trees that warranted attention. I had the gps in the boat so no tracks, but they were where you would expect them.

Our challenge was 12 out of 14 days were full sun and 29 to 33 degrees, and a few windy day on those big lakes.

Looking forward to the video, we did not take any pics.

Spoke to a Trapper who has the cabin on Peg Lake, he said a annual group of young Americans usually come through once a year and do the loop down the Saint Raphael River and up the Miniss River, opposite of our trip. That group did not come this year.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 7:49 pm 

Darl-h wrote:
Message me direct and I can email a GPX file (.gpx file are not an allowed attachment filetype).

CalTopo link even better, I downloaded the .gpx from there.

Thanks!