View topic - Backcountry Maps for my New Garmin?

It is currently November 30th, 2020, 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 11:08 am 

Hello All, need some tech assistance here.

After 30 years of tripping my wife who has now decided to join me on trips, convinced me to go buy a Garmin GPS. So I went and bought the Oregon 750.

I have figured out how to plan trips, way points, use the compass and pretty much all the features it offers, but the map is absolute garbage and doesn't even show the lakes I am planning on tripping next week. I downloaded the Basecamp app on my Mac, and am now trying to find some good quality maps, preferably TOPO of Ontario. More detail on the map the better. I almost bought the Backcountry map book GPS disk yesterday at Bass Pro for $199 (on sale!) but like their books, it is limited to only one area and for that price I would at least expect the entire province like the competitors seem to offer.
I thought before I drop that kind of coin on a map let me see what others are doing and using?
Also, does it make a difference for ease of use to buy the CD or SD card style that can just be loaded into the unit and go?

Thanks for the help!!
Andrew

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

Last edited by Captaincanadian on July 30th, 2020, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 11:22 am 

I recommend Trakmaps...

https://www.trakmaps.com/en/

Their newest Version 6 is amazing.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 12:09 pm 

Thanks Wabakimi Guy, I saw Trakmaps while searching last night. I had a deeper look just now, their maps and details do look very good and have everything I am looking for. They are the best one I have seen yet. Thanks!

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm 

You could also try Ibycus which is free.

https://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I haven't downloaded this for many years so I'm not 100% sure if it still works but it should

It's a huge file 3GB, that is (or was?) available only via a Torrent download. If you don't use BitTorrent you can pay to get it on a CD or find somebody who has the files who can put it on a disc or memory stick for you.

It might be just me but I prefer the old Garmin Mapsource over Basecamp, you can still find a download of Mapsource but maybe only on a third-party site since Garmin don't really support it anymore.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 7:37 pm 

Thanks recped, I will definitely check that out. I downloaded Mapsource as well so i am all set.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 9:05 pm 

The backcountry map books GPS is really good It covers the entire province. I provided another user some screen shots that he compared to trak maps. His response that trak maps were garbage by comparison.

Ive also used ibycus as well, for free its great but I feel the paid for maps has been well worth the money.

Dont buy the disk. Buy it on SD card then you can pop the card in your GPS. Ive been using it in my montana for at least 5 years and have got free upgrades.

Link to trak map/ Back roads comparison

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 07&t=46516

PostPosted: July 31st, 2020, 1:14 pm 

I use Ibycus on my Garmin eTrex 20 - works fine but I don't think it has been updated in 10 years.