View topic - Brent Run - April 2006

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brent Run - April 2006
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 11:30 am 

For everyone interested in this type of adventures.

Started on April 29th, 6:35am and completed run on the next day at 3:25pm. Route goes from Portage Store to Brent Store (Cedar Lake) and back to Canoe Lake (Portage Store) – in total 33 hrs and 50 minutes.

Canoe L. to Cedar L. : 14hrs 45min – yes, we really did well this portion.
Cedar L. to Canoe L.: 19hrs 5min – yes, we did slow this part.

On the way, we didn’t see many people in the park. Portages are so and so, the worst one between Burnt Island Lake and Otter Slide (too many downfalls at hard places). Both days have been sunny, with chilly night (-2C) and wind on the second day, all the way from Burnt Island Lake till the end. Without this one, we could probably shave another hour in total time. There is not much snow left in the park.

We traveled light, covered portages quickly and paddled as fast as we could manage. We drank a lot (15L for both of us) and ate chocolates and Cliff bars.

I stepped in the water twice on the first day, which kept me pretty cold at night. Sleep deprivation is real problem when you go non-stop for 33 hrs and 50 minutes. We used GPS to the full extent, and as usual we had less navigational issues over night than during the day. Night covered canoeing last lake (Cedar) and all the way from Cedar Lake till Longer Lake.

Overall, this is very hard run due to long distance, and lack of sleep. And I’m not anymore in my 30-is, so body feels it. Kiosk to Canoe is much harder route due to hard portages, while Brent Run is hard due to long paddle stretches. Portages on this route are actually very nice change between long stretches in the canoe.

Thanks to Ryan for his description, it real helped us to plan our timing.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... hp?t=15532

BTW, apparently this run is not anymore allowed for people working in the Portage Store. It used to be annual event, but not anymore. Apparently, ministry will not issue you the permit for this kind of race (so if you want to do it, you need to set this as a regular run between Canoe and Cedar, and pay a few extra nights, otherwise their computer will reject you).

If you need any more details, let me know.

Zoran and Chris (Ouly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 11:33 am 

Quite the feather in your cap. Well done. :clap:

Post subject: Brent run
PostPosted: May 1st, 2006, 3:47 pm 

Great trip guys. How much sleep did you acually get or none?? I plan to make this trip a priority sometime??? But plan to get dropped off at Brent and make my way down to Hwy 60 corridor. But at a somewhat more liesurely pace. I guess it must help with cooler weather, I couldn't imaginedoing that amount of work in July or August when it is 25-35 degrees, just too much sweat.

Post subject: Re: Brent run
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2006, 11:18 am 

Flyrod and Dave thanks for your kind words.

dave canoehead tim wrote:
Great trip guys. How much sleep did you acually get or none??

No sleep at all. Non stop action. If you stop and doze off, you are gone ...

dave canoehead tim wrote:
I guess it must help with cooler weather, I couldn't imaginedoing that amount of work in July or August when it is 25-35 degrees, just too much sweat.

I definetly prefer cool weather, but sometimes this could be an issue as well. Especially if you fell in the water. I had my feet and gloves wet for the entire trip and it was real chilly at the times. But no bugs to be found :lol:

Zoran