View topic - Trip Log - Canoe - Joe - Burnt Island - Teepee

It is currently December 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 1:33 am 

Just returned today from a 4 day trip to Canoe - Joe - Burnt Island & Teepee. With help from this forum the portaging was made a little easier. I learned that you could avoid most of the first portage from Canoe to Joe by following the stream to the right of the portage. We stayed on the section just below the eastern arm of Joe. Here we found a camp sight that had the remains of an old foundation. Here are 2 friends and their sons sitting on part of the foundation.

This was one of the best sights we had ever seen. It was on the eastern shore just across from where you enter the area below the eastern arm. A great deal of room, and a hiking trail that is marked that can be found just past the thunderbox. We followed the trail for a while, but never found where it went to.

We spent 1 night on Joe and moved on to Burnt Island. Getting to Burnt Island was easy. We found that the water level was sufficient to paddle and in some cases just walk the canoe through very shallow water in the creeks instead of the portages.

On Burnt Island, we found another excellent sight that was on the left across from the 2nd Island. It had an amazing fire place that was formed out of a large broken boulder and a rock ring. If anyone is missing a tent pole, we found it on the boulder. We left it there in the event that it fits a tent of a future camper.

Here on Burnt Island Lake, I was able to get several pictures of a loon that didn't seem to be too concerned about me.

We spent 2 nights on Burnt Island Lake, and continued on to Little Doe and camped on Teepee. This involved a 1340-meter portage It had a few hills but was well maintained. At the end of the portage from Burnt Island to Little Doe we met 2 groups of kids from camp Arowhon. The staff were taking 2 groups of what appeared to be 10 or 12 year olds on a 2 night trip. They really had their hands full, but appeared to be doing an excellent job and having fun with the kids. They seemed very knowlegable and were more than willing to offer advise about the various lakes and equipment. We stoped here for lunch, and pulled out our meal. We always have peanut butter on hand as an extra item (I'm not sure why). The camp staff seen the peanut butter, and acted as if it were gold. They had been leading groups of kids on trips for 2 months, and hadn't had any peanut butter since starting. They wanted to trade for the peanut butter. We only had 1 day left, and more than enough food, so we just gave it to them after insuring none of their party had peanut allergies. They acted as if we had just provided them with a steak dinner.

We continued on towards Teepee lake. Just before leaving Little Doe, I accidently sent my Oakley sun glasses to the bottom of the lake. I thought that plastic would float. Next time I'll attach a cord to them. Things quickly turned around though, because on the way to Teepee in a bog on the right just before Fawn Lake, we were fortunate enough to see a female moose and her calf.

I didn't enjoy Teepee as much as the other lakes. It was too close to Camp Arowhon, and we could hear their activities. The sites were all very small, and very littered also. We had a hard time finding one that would hold 3 tents, even though 1 tent was a small 1 man tent. I had purchased this tent just before the trip, as my son couldn't attend this one with me. It is a Kelty Crestone 1. Excellent choice for a 1 man tent. It worked perfectly and had sufficient room for me.

We spent the 1 night on Teepee and headed home. If I chose this route again, I would stay on Little Doe or Tom Thompson lake instead of Teepee.

This was an excellent trip for viewing wild life. We even had a large turtle that kept visiting us while on Burnt Island.

If things go as planned, I hope to be making a trip back with my son late in September.

Last edited by rcwarner on August 19th, 2005, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 7:35 am 

rcwarner, In the last 10 years, I have gone through that Fawn Lake to Littledoe Lake stretch twice and I've seen moose both times in that same marshy area where you saw the cow and calf. Must be residents. Never saw a calf, though.

Nice pics. It's tough to catch a good close picture of the Loons because they always dive when you get close.

Spiderman

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 9:05 am 

Hey rcwarner,

On the portage between Canoe and Joe you said that you could avoid most of the first portage by following the stream.

What was the stream like?.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 9:09 am 

Aaron Levenson wrote:
Hey rcwarner,

On the partage between Canoe and Joe you said that you could avoid most of the first portage by following the stream.

What was the stream like?.

Aaron

The stream was fine for paddling. Few rocks, but with care they could be avoided. Just a small hike up hill to the official portage, but with the benefit of being at the other end. I'm not sure if the stream is always accessable, but it looked deep enough. It leads up to the dam that spills over from Joe Lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 10:21 am 

I'll be doing almost the same route next weekend (thanks for the pm!)

What was the firewood situation like? We hope to do most of our cooking ove the fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 12:50 pm 

panhandlephillips wrote:
I'll be doing almost the same route next weekend (thanks for the pm!)

What was the firewood situation like? We hope to do most of our cooking ove the fire.

Not bad, but we did our cooking on 2 small camp stoves. We were able to find enough downed trees to get plenty of firewood for a healthy fire each night. There was pleanty of birch bark to be found. No need to peel it off trees, it falls off naturaly. Just look on the ground for it. This makes the best fire starter you could imagine. It will even light and burn when wet.

Let me know how it goes, I'm hoping to go back in September with my son and do the route backwards, but this time not staying on Teepee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2005, 2:54 pm 

Thanks rcwarner,

I am doing the sunbeam loop starting on the 30th from Canoe Lake for 5 nights. Should be a blast!

Cheers,

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 5:53 pm 

Hi Aaron,

We will be coming off that route on the 1st - who knows - maybe we will see you on the trip. Which way are you doing the route? We are going Burnt Island for 2 nights, Sunbeam for 2 nights and Tom Thomson for the final night (which is the 30th)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 9:17 pm 

hey ******,

We are doing the opposite routing......canoe-thompson-burnt-joe-canoe. We are starting on Canoe on the 30th and staying at Thompson the first night.

It looks like we will run into each other at some point.

I have a blue PFD so if you see me feel free to say hi!

Cheers,

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2005, 1:27 am 

just look for the little guy that is in my display picture - he's so cute he is hard to miss - but then I'm biased