View topic - Killarney Trip (with Photos)

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 11:24 am 

Deb and I just spent a week in Killarney (Fri Sept 30 to Thu Oct 6). A purposely lazy trip, we base-camped the first three nights on Killarney Lake; and spent the next three on OSA. Colours were not quite at their peak (maybe 75%) but still gorgeous. Weather was too much to have even dreamed for. Most days in the mid 20s, and nightime temperatures in the low to mid teens.

Debbie (hardy Canadian stock) even went swimming twice. Richard (wimpy English heritage) declined and washed up on shore rather than frolicking in the lake.

Suprisingly, the interior was quite busy. When we paddled in on Thursday afternoon, we were downright nervous by the time we had passed site after site in Killarney Lake, all occupied. As we approached the east end of the lake, we could see at least one of the two remaining sites were taken. Thankfully, the last available site was empty, and we set up for a comfortable three days at site 15. Nice site, sheltered in a pine grove but the rock outcrop faced east so we didn't get much afternoon sun.

On Monday, we packed up and headed over to OSA. Got our only bad weather of the trip, but still hard to complain. The rain held off until after we were packed up, then gave us a good soaking as we paddled. Thunder in the distance, but it never caught up with us. Rain stopped as we portaged into OSA, and that was it. Very windy for the remainder of the day, though.

OSA was pretty much deserted when we arrived, so we chose the island site (no. 29). Three incredible days there, with warm (but windy) days. Very hazy - we never got a crystal-clear sky for photographing the colours.

Paddled out on Thursday morning - three hours almost to the minute, and felt the cold front begin to move in as we ate lunch in the town of Killarney. By that evening, it was downright chilly, and by morning it was below zero. Great timing.

A few pics of the trip ... reduced in size and compressed for speed, so they may not do the area full justice.

The view (looking northwest )from our site on Killarney Lake

Mason warming up on the rocks after a marathon swim to the mainland and back.

Fall colours on Killarney Lake

One of the joys of base camping - more time to cook. Outback oven pizza for lunch one day

Mason was so pooped from the swimming and running around, he'd head over to the tent at 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening and stand there looking at us. As soon as we let him in, he'd burrow into the blankets and conk out for the night. Must be getting old.

Sunrise on OSA Lake

Our campsite on OSA Lake

Up on a ridge overlooking OSA Lake

The best part of the trip ... the temperature

Sunrise on our last morning in OSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 12:10 pm 

I enjoyed those pictures Richard.

I was in the park Fri. to Sun. the same time that your trip started and hiked Silver Peak that weekend. You're right the weather was fantastic but there was a haze every day that blurred the distance.

When I returned to dreaded Toronto on Monday, the fog and smog was the worst I've ever seen and made the shock of returning to the city even worse. I read that the smog did stretch as far as Sudbury for a couple of days that week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 2:23 pm 

Great pix, Richard - I've base-camped at both those sites as well. Site 15 on Killarney IIRC had some stunted pines on an island nearby with a bonsai-like appearance to them. It rained quite a bit while I was there, and I would paddle around in the rain with the gnarled pines dripping raindrops, they really added something to the quiet atmosphere of the place. I hope they're still there.

On the OSA site, the three rounded hilltops to the east dominated the view every day. We called that feature "Three Domes" and it created it's own distinctive character. Those pix really bring back the feeling of Killarney, and all the time spent there, great to see those views and the landscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 4:15 pm 

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing.

In case you missed it while you were out, and Boneli hasn't told you yet, the Packers won.

But seriously, those pics I will show my wife and use as leverage for a trip to Killarney next weekend.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 5:00 pm 

nice pix, Richard! I'm green with envy about you luck/timing....or did you book the weather well in advance?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 8:48 am 

welcome back!!! love the photos!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 9:51 am 

Nice report, and the pics work well to tell the story.

Mason, eh? I wonder how he got his name...?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 8:33 pm 

Nice pics thanks for sharing oh how I wish I was there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2005, 12:13 pm 

Richard, my group was also camping on Killarney Lake on Thusday September 29th. We were on site 24 and arrived about 3:00 p.m. You must have paddled right by us. All wekend long canoes were coming by our site casting envious glances at us. We were very fortunate to get that site. It was lovely. Also as you said the weather was fantastic the whole weekend. On Sunday afternoon as we were padddling out we came across a tiny bear cub swimming across the lake. It was very exciting.