View topic - Big Crow Cabin adventure this past weekend

It is currently November 17th, 2019, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 3:30 pm 

Hey all... I'm new to these forums. Just found the site a couple weeks ago.

With a campground trip already under the belt back at the end of April, I was anxious to get in my first Algonquin canoe trip of the year. A friend and I planned a 2-nighter at Big Crow Cabin. We took the Opeongo water taxi to the north arm first thing Friday morning... and was picked up by the same Sunday afternoon. Between these two times, we did not encounter a single soul other than wildlife. It was probably the most relaxing trip I've done in the park to date!

The unmaintained part of the portage between Opeongo and Proulx was unpassable -- a massive tree has fallen and blocked the path... so we paddled across the little pond and finished the portage into Proulx.

Paddle across Proulx was easy that early in the morning... and then at first we thought we couldn't find the entrance to the Crow River on the horizon, but found it when we were almost on top of it. Just past the entrance to the river had us pushing our canoe over a bank of wood just under the surface, but past that we encountered nothing but pristine conditions. :) It's so beautiful entering Big Crow Lake from the channel that connects to Little Crow.

We reached the cabin in about 3.5 hrs total (including the portage)... found that the lock had been busted off the door (was just hanging there) but that the cabin was in great shape and had been occupied for 7 of the previous 8 days before us.

Needless to say, that will be the last time we trip the first weekend of June -- the mosquitos and black flies were the worst I have ever seen, ANYWHERE. I've experienced bad bugs before, and thought this would be no different... but it was almost unbearable at times when there was no wind. Other than that, it was beautiful, perfect weather, and well worth the effort keeping ourselves coated in DEET. There's also a freshwater spring (COLD too!!) not 60m from the cabin which meant we didn't have to paddle out from shore just to filter water.

On our paddle back on Sunday, we encountered some hefty waves on Proulx which ended up beaching us at the elbow turn southward... but that allowed us to check out the campsite on the point (which was probably the nicest laid out campsite I'd ever seen!) and carry the canoe around to the south-side of the point to put back in and finish the trip.

I would definitely recommend a trip out to this cabin. We left our thoughts in the cabin daily log book, and brought back memories of a trip I would repeat in a heartbeat ... at a later time in the year, of course. :)

Anyone else experienced this cabin or the route?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 10:50 pm 

Cool did you do any fishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 5:41 am 

We have done that route but not the cabin. Also will echo your thoughts. Not sure if you were able to hike up to the old fire tower just behind the cabin? An amazing view of the area. Not sure if the bugs allowed you or not, but the hike in to see the large pine trees is worth the effort as well. When you get back into that part of the lake just before the Crow River it sure does get quiet. Like yourself, it is a favourite destination of mine. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 7:26 am 

Welcome to myccr!

Never done any cabins in the park, but I've been to Big Crow several times. Nice lake. Glad you had a good time. Don't let the bugs be an issue, sounds like you were prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 8:39 am 

Good write-up. Trip descriptions are becoming rare these days... don't know why that is.

It's a pity that you didn't walk the woods through the old-growth pine, it's the rarest type remaining, the tolerant hardwoods-white pine association, maybe the flies wouldn't have made that too enjoyable. I used to be a fisheries worker based on El Opeongo, and some days on shore or on a stream, the swarms were so vicious, even with plenty of DEET and a headnet, it was hard to imagine how anybody could survive a full day in the woods. Large lakes like Lavieille and Dickson were paradise on a warm day because the flies weren't out there on the open water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 10:15 am 

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I used to read canoe trip logs anywhere I could find them, but lately haven't been able to find any NEW reports.

We had planned to see both the lookout/fire tower and the White Pine stand... but the VERY heavy winds most of the day on Saturday left us nervous about paddling across the lake in those waves... and the fire tower couldn't be reached due to a combination of the thousands of bugs chasing us, and the lack of shape both of us were in. :lol: We DID make the effort tho ... got about half way up the hill thru the forest and felt like we would collapse. Next time for sure tho! :P

This site seems to be one of the best resources for canoeing in Canada... I'm glad I found it! Now if only the MYSQL issues could be sorted out, I could see those Recipes everyone's talking about. ;)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2007, 7:37 am 

I've got a reservation for late summer for 5 nights at the cabin. I know the cabin sleeps 4, but it's possible there will be 6 of us. Does anyone know if there's room to pitch a tent there, or will we have to get a separate site for the tent?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2007, 2:26 pm 

Kevin wrote:
I've got a reservation for late summer for 5 nights at the cabin. I know the cabin sleeps 4, but it's possible there will be 6 of us. Does anyone know if there's room to pitch a tent there, or will we have to get a separate site for the tent?

A couple of things about this cabin and other cabins in Algonquin;

It is not as big as High View Ranger cabin on the Nippissing, which I stayed in back in July 1st of 2000 (man it was cold that night!), but about the same size as McKaskil. The latter we had no problem sleeping 7, mind some where kids but those bunks are large.

Big Crow using the floor you could certainly get 6 inside for sure. But, not to worry, there is plenty of room there for tents and you are not going to be cold in August. My recollection is the bunks are roomed off, it is not open like High View, Tattler and McKaskil (stayed at all three, all spring trips except that cold July 1st day – we were glad we had chosen to pay for Cabin access) that are open concept cabins.

Just behind the Big Crow cabin, which I have never stayed in (only looked through the windows!), is the trial up to the old fire tower, well worth the walk. Of course, the trail just up the river to the old growth forest is also definitely not to be missed.

Wenda Lake cabin has bunks for three (I have stayed here too in the late fall). I have not stayed at nor seen Rain Lake, Brentcliffe (failed in an attempt to get up this creek from K’mog in a day three spring back! That was with two boys and another adult) or Crooked Chute (Petawawa River) yet and Kitty Lake is too close to the access point so I did not even bother to have a look through the windows!

I have also seen inside the cabins at Ceder Lake (Brent) … never stayed in one though.

All in all, my favorites were High View, McKaskil, Tattler and Wenda in that order. Notice that there is a correlation between how hard you have to work to get to them and how much I liked them.

Seriously though, for a Spring fishing trip or just a early or late season warm stay over, all of these are great. However Big Crow in August, since the beaches are marvelous on the other side of that lake, especially the one next to the river, I would cancel that reservation and all tent it. Just sharing my opinion man.

I should note that I saw the biggest snapping turtle in my life swim under my canoe the 2nd time I paddled the Crow River. This was right in the middle of the marsh leading from Proulx to Little Crow ... it was a monster!

Anyway, all of these locations will handle the max of 9 imposed as a limitation by the park. No trouble, plenty of tenting room at all of them.

Website launches when sponsors are contracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2007, 3:31 pm 

Rocket-Rivewr..Were staying at the Highview Cabin this April...I figure about 8 hours to access it from Tim...What do you think...Any "tricks of the trade" that might help us???

Sorry for diverting the thread...

Glenn