View topic - mccrae lake pics

It is currently November 14th, 2019, 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mccrae lake pics
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 8:10 am 

Planning on going to mccrae lake friday morning and staying till monday morning, I went there with scouts 12 years ago and really wanted to go back. Anyone have any information on where i can get a decent map of the area before thursday??? are there any places to buy maps of the area i could stop at on the drive from oshawa. Thanks

Josh

Last edited by jscudds on July 17th, 2006, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 8:20 am 

I am only aware of the topo map 31-D-13 Penetanguishene.

But as long as you know how to get to the access, you should be fine:
* north on 400 to the "Georgian Bay Rd exit"
* go west underneath the highway and immediately turn onto the "southbound ramp" as if you were heading back to TO
* part way up that ramp there is a road leading down to the parking lot

And since there is no map, why not make it a project for your group to draw that map. It should aim specifically at paddlers. You could even make it available to other paddling folks via mail or website or by posting it on CCR.... :wink:

Post subject: mccrae
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 8:34 am 

when i went to sucker lake a month a go i got a wicked hand drawn map off a friend( that apparently they sell in the area). Complete with campsite, rocks, fishing spots, hazards, portages,fresh springs, etc etc all marked out. I guess i was looking for something like that. Guess it would be too good to be true for something like that 2 trips in a row. thanks for the reply and i will try and map something out!!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 8:40 am 

Anyone else goiing to mccrae this weekend? If so i'll be in a group of 2 (girlfriend and myself) paddling a dark green upper canada prospector.

Stop in and say hi

hopefully we'll have a site where i can put my hammock real close to the lake.

Anyone think they'll be a problem getting a site, i hope to be inthe lake by 10am

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 11:55 am 

There is a Mccrae lake fishing map made by Adventure fishing maps which is copied under license from the MNR. The approximate scale is 1 inch to 1/4 kilometer, and it gived depths similiar to a regular lake chart.. Also indicates locations and types of fish expected, although I always take these with a healthy grain of salt. The one I have is laminated, about 18"" x 12", can be rolled for transport, is black & white, and only shows the lake, no reference grid just a compass indicating north.

They have a website adventurefishingmaps.on.ca. if you want to check price and delivery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 12:28 pm 

looks like 2 weeks for shipping on those ones,....i was hoping maybe a local outfitter would have maps or maybe someone would know of a good digital map

thanks though, I appreciate the post

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 2:50 pm 

Hap Wilsons canoeing in muskoka book has great illustrations of McCrea, but quite honestly you dont really need a map , it would be awfully hard to get lost on that lake . If you do plan a week-end trip get there as early as possible it easily fills up on week-ends with a lot of trippers.

Be sure to bring a large garbage bag and take out as much as you can from previous campers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 6:46 pm 

Just got back from McRae a few hours ago- Filled a bag just on the site where we camped. The water is nice and warm and the bugs aren't bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 7:31 pm 

I see you're from Oshawa, so this may help. Assuming Gagnon's Sports down on Bloor St. re-opened after their fire (I haven't been there in a while), they used to sell topo maps, and had quite a few in stock. If you're lucky, they just may have one for a popular area like Mcrae Lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 10:13 pm 

They used to sell topo maps at the Swift Canoe and Kayak store on Georgian Bay at Waubaschene. Get off Just past Duck Bay road and go back along the service road on the north side.

Its the first exit past the FIRST Bridge over Georgian Bay. They had topo maps last year.

THe last time I was in McRae lake it was REALLY busy. Go Early FOR sure for a nice campsite. There are unmarked campsites ALL over the lake but you need to get in there early to get a good one. Its NOT a long weekend so that should help you.

The Last time I was in there about 5 years ago there was a TON of garabage ALL over the place. The ONE main portage in and out of that lake can get very busy and last time I saw it there was a lot of trash on it. BUT as I say that was over 5 years ago.

I hope you will report back on the condition of the area.

-Tom W

PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 10:45 pm 

thanks guys, . .. the information you provide is second to none, . . . you're awesme,...l'll be sure to post trip report and pictures. i'm hoping to leave the house by 5am at the latest should put in at the access by 8am and i'm hoping to be on the lake by 9am camp set up by 11am.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 9:20 am 

please visit
http://photos.yahoo.com/jscudds10
to see pictures

Got home from Mccrae lake last night this is my first attempt at a trip report so bear with me.

Friday 10 am- Arrived at the access point at about 10am with no map
Toured the first half of the lake looking for campsites, decided to go with the site on the point directly south of elephant rock (big rocky island). Campsiites were only about 1/5 filled up at this point.
Set camp up and made lunch (juicy jumbo hotdogs). Went for a swim and took a nap. Sunn was a scorching 34 degress but out site had a nice breeze.
woke up frrom nap and we exploring.

6pm cooked steak, bake potatoes and peppers for supper.
Went for swim, got some firewood and prepared camp for nightfall.
decided to goto bed around 11 and left fly off tent cause it was so hot and breeze in tent was nice.

Saturday around 5 am crazy stormed brewed up out of nowhere too much wind to get out and put fly on tent so stuff got wet.
9am storm passes and we dry stuff on a line,
pemale baconcheese on english muffins and coffe for breakfastdidn't pack to the coffee perker so i used my t-shirst to filter grounds (no too too bad)

went out in the canoe solo fighting still high winds

12 noon lunch- grilled pitas with roast beef and cheese mmmm
took the canoe out with linds and did some camp site exploring
took a nap and ate some more grilled pitas
did some fishing

5pm supper chicken breasts and green beans
more fishing didn't catch anything
went for a twilight swim
campfire snack pistachiios and sunflower seeds.
pretty low on water boiled some lake water

sunday
5am another tornado light storm blew in fly was on tent this time
woke up to make sure nothign was blowing away
foudn my shirt at bottom of the lake literally fished it out it was the
only thing i caught all weeked
listened to forcast on crank radio possible thuunderstorms approaching
pack stuff up and took our time getting out and home.

campsite condition was 8/10 with a lil garbage
portage trail was basically clean with a couple beer bottles ad cans
packout a garbage bag of trash.

please visit http://photos.yahoo.com/jscudds10 to see pictures

http://photos.yahoo.com/jscudds10

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2006, 12:07 pm 

Hi, jscudds. Sounds like a nice trip except for the weather. You seem to eat better on your trips than I do at home. How do you manage to keep all that meat from spoiling? Do you freeze and take a cooler? Some tips will help me rethink my menu planning for next time.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2006, 4:59 pm 

Its all about the cuisine for me

coleman 5 day cooler( gray one) marinate and freeze meats wrap in newspaper, only open cooler when necessary and be really quick about it when you do.

I also freeze ice in larger tupperware containers a few nights prior to leaving

Post subject: Ice
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 9:09 am 

I have a friend at our local National Grocers that lets me take my coolers in. I put 3-4 inches of water in the bottom and freeze the whole cooler. 5 days later we throw ice away!