View topic - Trip report on first solo trip. (Algonquin)

It is currently November 17th, 2019, 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 9th, 2006, 1:07 pm 

First of all I would like to thank those that responded to my thread, before I left.

I left London on the 22nd sept. heading for Kiosk, I was on Kioshkokwi lake by 10:30 (yes I left early). The first day was fairly uneventful, the colours were about 1-2 weeks away from peak, but was still stunning. I spent my 1st night on Waterclear, very nice and peaceful lake. I stayed on the first campsite on the west side, excellant clean site. I found I needed some Rock throwing practice, it took me about an hour to get my food rigging ready, (my paddling partner normally takes care of this, while I set up the camp and get the coffee on). the weather was great all day, but rained all night.

Day 2 was soggy morning, but rain had stopped about 6:00am but ment everything went away wet!
Waterclear was beautiful at this hour of the day, when the sun was trying to break through and the lake was like glass, and the mist was rising, what a great way to start your days paddling.
I heard about a interesting campsite on club lake so I stopped and explored. Found some great ruins from the logging days, found a 1928 star car (with wooden spoke wheels), three derelict cabins and out houses, some bed springs, water pump that still mechanically operated, (diddn't pump though).
I paddled through Club lake as appeared to be a prime area for Moose (no luck though), but did see a family of Otters splashing around, so I stopped and watched for a while. also saw a pair of Bald Eagles. There is also an old mill at the portage to Mink lake.
Stayed the next 2 nights on the 3rd camp site another excellant site. I had Mink lake to myself for both nights which was perfect.

Sunday was the worst day of the trip, as it rained all night and diddn't stop untill around midday, so I couldn't get as much exploring done as planned, with the rain and wind there was whitecaps on the lake and decided to wait out the weather. I managed to start my day in the afternoon, and paddled to Cauchon Lake, this was my favorite lake of all that I visited, but because of the late start couldn't explore as much as I would have liked. The hi-lite of the day was meeting this couple hiking on the old abandoned rail road. I stopped and spoke to them for about an hour and as they knew some history of the logging companies, as their Uncle's and Grandfather worked for them.

Day 4 started off with a nice easy paddle up Mink lake and across Little Mink, and even on Kioshkokwi Lake until I turned under ther railroad bridge. I was then fighting against a strong head wind, and the skys opened up with whitecaps on the lake, for a paddle in good conditions that would normally take about 20-30 mins, it took more then 2 hours and an exhausted paddler at the end of it.

All in all it was a great trip, and I will return again for a longer trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2006, 7:43 pm 

Nice trip. You said you would do it again, but given the wind and the lakes wind reputation for big wind. Would you do it again solo?

Well done.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm 

I would prefer to paddle with my regular canoeing partner and make it a longer trip.