View topic - December Trip Report in the Kawarthas

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 2:55 am 

Hi Everyone,

If you are interested, I finished, well, sort of finished a canoe trip this weekend. and just posted the trip report on my blog site. :doh:

Here's the link - http://paddlingtheredhelmet.blogspot.com/2006/12/kawarthas-highland-park-dec-16-17-2006.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 7:50 am 

Thanks for the report - it's great reading and an eye opener as to what one can encounter at this time of the year. A good example on how "plan B" is a key element on some canoe trips. You did well!

Another angle on this: we go out throughout the summer and build experience and skill, and are rightfully proud of it. But generations before us, people up north stayed year-around in the bush and dealt with these things all the time. They probably thought nothing of it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 8:26 am 

I like the format of your trip reports. Good job. It's cool when people go one routes you've been too and you can compare notes and pictures.

I especially likes the brtoken ice pictures on this trip and the moose skeleton picture on one of your other trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 9:49 am 

A favorable trip report for the Cantons Lake, Temagami and a good read.
I thought you might be interested in a couple of new options for this area as you commented on the absence of others campers and I know that these two options would serve in finding more solitude.

http://nastawgan.ca/misabi-lakes.html
http://nastawgan.ca/canton_south.html

Members of the Nastawgan Network researched,cleared and documented these routes. It is our hope that they will get used and be recognized as viable route options and take the pressure of other popular routes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 10:16 am 

Canoe is ..................... green :o

Do you write all this on your trip or back at home?

Tks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 10:59 am 

Erhard wrote:
But generations before us, people up north stayed year-around in the bush and dealt with these things all the time. They probably thought nothing of it....

Thanks Erhard for the words of encouragement!

Rightly so, as quoted above - I'm just glad I had the opportunity to experience it. If I had another day out there, I would certainly have continued on, but I guess sometimes that's just how it ends up. It certainly won't deter me in the future, it just means I'll be more prepared. Despite it all, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks again.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 11:08 am 

jscudds wrote:
It's cool when people go one routes you've been too and you can compare notes and pictures.

Thanks jscudds for the compliment. I guess you've been on the same route. I'll have to make plans to complete the route in the future. I imagine its a nice route? By the way, thanks for taking the time to purview my other trip reports - I'm in the stages of slowly adding other reports to the blog site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 11:20 am 

alscool wrote:
I thought you might be interested in a couple of new options for this area as you commented on the absence of others campers and I know that these two options would serve in finding more solitude.

Hi alscool,

That's amazing, thanks for the info. I just love routes like that. Although I did another loop in Temagami in August from Anima Nipissing down to Mountain Lake south to Thieving Bear, across Red Squirrel Rd, up Snare creek, up through Mannajigama Lake and back where I didn't see a single soul. Albeit, the portages don't exist anymore - that may explain why. I think I portaged more on this trip than I paddled! :o I haven't put that trip report on my blog site yet. Thanks again! Always open to new and lost routes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 11:28 am 

shycanoe wrote:
Canoe is ..................... green :o
Do you write all this on your trip or back at home?

Maybe you missed it on the trip report, but I had the fortunate (or unfortunate - depends on who you ask) opportunity to use my brother's Royalex canoe. Therefore, yes it was green. I told my brother you can now tell people the scratches on the bottom of the canoe are not just from rocks! Regardless, I don't think he really appreciated the canoe being used as an icebreaker. I don't blame him. (that's what family is for!) :D

Sometimes I write on the trip, but this one I wrote at home. Thanks for your comment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 11:30 am 

Thats just great and the kind of route information the Nastawgan Network is looking for to incorporate into future revival-rehabilitation projects within the Temagami region.

Maybe you would consider joining the Network. There is no obligation other than supplying an email address so we can keep you informed on actions both on the ground and in the offices of the planners and managers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 5:54 pm 

i got a really great map of the kawartha highlands, you can get them at the gas station at beaver lake road. The old guy that runs the place gets trent university students to draw them up every year, but your more than welcome to copy mine.
Josh

Last edited by jscudds on December 20th, 2006, 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 8:36 pm 

alscool wrote:
Maybe you would consider joining the Network. There is no obligation other than supplying an email address so we can keep you informed on actions both on the ground and in the offices of the planners and managers.

Hi alscool! Definitely, count me in! Here's my email address
davidlee1317@yahoo.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 8:39 pm 

jscudds wrote:
i got a really great map of the kawartha highlands, you can get them at the gas station at beaver lake road. The old guy that runs the place gets trent university students to draw them up every year, but your more than welcome to copy mine, i have some half decent pictures of sucker lake route at www.photos.yahoo.com/jscudds1

Hi jscudds, thanks alot of the info. I'll have to pick up a map next time I am there. By the way, I tried to access your pics but you need to sign in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 9:00 pm 

Great 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2006, 10:21 pm 

Hey great report, and nice pictures.

I have never heard of Kawarthas area before. It took me a while to find it. And I notice it's just north of Peterborough, and south of Algonquin Park. Lots of lakes around there, but so close to metro.

I am curious, what is the "backcountry" like around there? I can only imagine lots of traffic of motor boats and cottages or even weekend batgrippers. (made that part up, but you know when you can spot a newbie by their paddle grip 8) ). Or do I have it wrong, and been missing out?

Because of the above mentioned, I would usually avoid it like the plague. But probably a good time of year to check it out. Worth coming down for? What could one expect now, AND during the peak season?

Thanks.