View topic - Biscotasing - Trip report .. from 2 summers ago.

It is currently November 22nd, 2019, 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 11:08 pm 

I knew I'd get to it sooner or later.

Click Here

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 8:46 am 

Hmmm.......

Not exactly your happiest trip, maybe the worst was all the trash you came across when in easy reach of motor boats - i.e. the closer to Bisco, the worse things are. Also, your large group had no choice but take large camp sites, and those typically are targets for slob-groups.

But you learned something about the area and you guys were back some years later, to a better trip. Thanks for putting the report together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 9:41 am 

It's funny , the things that seem less than perfect we laugh about all the time. The trip was going to be restrained, Vee just hadn't recovered enough from her car accident, to do what we usually do. And it was really nice of the guys to do such a restrained route so that she could come. But because of that, there were times Vee felt she had to rest, and the rest of us were feeling we had time on our hands.

If I went back to the area, I think I'd want to go back with a work crew and power boat. The amount of garbage on those sites is way too much to be hauled out in canoes.

At the time of this trip Vee couldn't even get out of the boat on her own. We pretty much needed a person to help her in and out every time. And she was only able to paddle maybe 2/3's of the time. The rest of the time John and I were both paddling solo. That meant Dave and Arny were always wanting to take off and go somewhere, while John and I were struggling just to keep up. That coupled with the lack of sun for Arny's sleep machine made for some very interesting dynamics.

But we got through it. And Vee was much improved last summer, so, I'm hoping we will be back to normal gear and weight levels this summer, although, it looks like she's never going to carry more than about a 20-30 pound pack again, or be able to double portage. So far everyone is on board for this year's trip, and some of the old timers we haven't seen for a while may come, as well.

Last edited by normhead on January 17th, 2007, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 10:15 am 

Great trip report, Norm
It does however, illustrate the issues that inevitably follow power boats and other motorized recreational vehicles in a wilderness area. It just seems to me that those who access these pristine wilderness areas by means of motorized vehicles (be it a motor boat or ATV), generally do not show the same respect for the environment that the 'non-motorized' crowd does :tsk: .
Your description of trashed campsites, really underlines the importance of designating certain areas 'free of motorized vehicle use'. Many people still just don't realize the importance of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 7:21 pm 

Norm we were on Indian Lake a few days after you and saw the rubbish on not only the site you were on but several others as well . You mentioned that someone told you there were no bears as the berry crop had dryed up . Well we had a bear come into our campsite in the middle of the afternoon and it had to be chased away . I guess I scared it more than it scared us as it didn't come back . scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 9:50 pm 

We did the best pack hanging job there we've ever done. That bear would have been flat out of luck looking for food while we were there. Just goes to show how much you can trust the local wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 2:33 pm 

scouter Joe wrote:
Norm we were on Indian Lake a few days after you ...

Was that two seasons ago, when I paddled out from the Mishap/Sinaminde trip and you guys flagged me down? That was some surprise when I returned form the five day solo trip and someone calls my name across the water.... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 5:13 pm 

Yes Erhard that was the time . We managed to get across to Indian Lake from the Hogsback channel into Soule and then the unnamed Lake . Fairly easy portages . Turned into a nice trip . Thanks to you and Norm for posting the trip logs . Its always interesting to read a report of a place that Ive paddled and see how others experience was compared to ours . scouter Joe