View topic - Log of a first solo trip...

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 11:18 am 

... and first every interior trip into Algonquin I wanted to share with you guys. This trip was into Tom Thompson. I thought that route would be easy enough as I dont mind paddling at all and did not want too many portages for the first time. Other then the one beaver dam there was no other obstacles. Well there was head wind and lots of it but that did not bother me.

http://crazyravr.smugmug.com/gallery/1959789#99594379

Have a look let me know what you think.
Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 12:53 pm 

Tomek:
Nice Pics!
But what is it that you have on top of the fire grate? They look like fish but you didn't mention catching fish in your write-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 1:26 pm 

That was my breakfast... bakon strips over fire for nice smell and taste and pancakes which were cooking on a stove :)

thanx for looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 2:18 pm 

I really liked what you did with the bathroom.

After sitting on a log or squatting a few times you soon learn to appreciate what APP has to offer. :wink:

Excellent pictorial of your trip Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 4:45 pm 

Tom, what were the dates of your trip?

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 4:56 pm 

I dont remember exactly but it was the end of Sept. I am pretty sure it was the last weekend of Sept. There was zero traffic at the portage and there were two other campsites taken on TT lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 6:34 am 

Hi Tomek,
Welcome to the world of solo tripping. Warning: Its addictive!

Get yourself a lightweight canoe and some good packs, and soon you'll be portaging back in further, finding those moose. Look for them in June (preferably), or early July in the big aquatic feeding areas which have the big patches of emergent aquatic plants like pickerlweed and lily pads. Marshy (not boggy) rivers, and big shallow bays of lakes will have these. Years ago during a 1-week solo trip in APP in early summer, I saw 28 moose, several up close.

When solo tripping, its quiet too, and I have had moose walk right through my camp when I was in it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 7:24 am 

Thanx Hoop.

Its not that its difficult to portage a kayak... its that for my first time in the interior I did not want to go in too far.. this was only a trial run to see the do's and dont's. I think now I have this figured out and this year the trips will get longer and better. Ohhhhh I am still hoping for that first moose.

I wish I could get into canoeing but a canoe will not go on Georgian Bay... I will not be able to take it on Lake Ontario aftwer work etc etc. Also, I have been in a canoe a handful of times with my father and was scared that we will tip. That feeling did not go away even after a while in the canoe. Also I found that on flat water the canoe was soso... but as soon as there were waves forget it. Maybe one day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 8:59 am 

LOL ... oh boy, you are going to get plenty of replies regarding that view of canoes. :D

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

Last edited by SteveBoal on March 27th, 2007, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 9:08 am 

Tomek. Learn 2 Paddle. :P

Yes on big water a 'yak will perform better. Off the water? Loading capacity? Pros and cons to both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 9:31 pm 

Fantastic pics!! Funny that I've got a bunch of 'Thunderbox" pics as well. What is your method of portaging your yak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 9:34 pm 

Thunderbox pics are a must lol :)

For that trip since I knew it was only one short portage on a shoulder that 80Lbs boat went. That kayak was a beast but I had to rent something. My usuall kayak is only 45Lbs and much easier to carry :) When I go and I know there will be longer and more portages I use Knupak system and works wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 10:05 pm 

Matters not what you paddle but rather that you do.

However I am amused at people who don't use a craft that is historically suited to the area you are in.

I would bet that Georgian Bay was traveled many years ago by canoes and not kayaks.

Get over feeling tippy. Canoes dont tip, people do. I taught at a symposium last weekend and both dumps were due to paddlers heads being out beyond the rails. That holds in a yak too but its harder to get your head out there from a sitting position.

I love canoeing in big waters. However a kayak in the Atlantic Ocean near my house makes alot more sense! Even though historically the Wabenaki used canoes...

Perhaps I should laugh at myself.

PS Yaks are heavy...why carry a deck when you dont need it (comes in handy on GB but a bit of overkill on Algonquin)

Get a 17 or a 30 lb canoe; they are pretty common

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2007, 3:19 pm 

I'm amused about your views on canoes. But still it looks like it was a great trip.

Canoes are much more pleasant for most of that sort of thing.

Canoes can be very seaworthy. I lived on the shores of Lake Ontario for the first 20 years of my life. I have canoed in small craft warnings, in waves over 1.3m high. Weather that most people wouldn't take a power boat out in... Hell *I* wouldn't take most powerboats out in it either. Never dumped or swam without meaning to.

I guess my point is that canoes can handle waves and weather beyond what you're likely to want to go out in whatever boat you use.

Don't commit yourself to one or the other without more time trying it out.If a canoe feels tippy, get your butt off the seat and kneel. You sit in the bottom of a kayak so think about getting low when you canoe.

I love playing around in kayaks. But I'd rather walk barefoot across zebra mussels than portage one.