View topic - Algonquin - Rock L - Pen L - Night L - Galeairy L (3 days)

It is currently November 22nd, 2019, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 8:51 am 

I dont know if this is the right place for this or not.... but I did 3 days trip in AP.

For photos please see link below.

This was a 3 day (May 11th-13th - 2007) getaway from access #9 Rock Lake thru Pen Lake, Night Lake, Galeairy Lake and back out. I got off of work late at around 2pm and drove up to the park. On my way there I had to stop at Algonquin Outfitters to pick up a canoe (Bob Special this time). I put in late at around 6pm and got to Pen Lake portage in just over an hour. From there it was a short carry to Pen L. and I decided not to go any further and stayed on the first campsite I saw available. I woke up in the morning (+1 deg C at 8am) and made breakefast (yummy). After that I went exporing the rapids where Pen L. empties into Rock L. After that I packed up and off I went to Galeairy Lake. To get there I double carried the 1680m portage to Night L. From there it was a short 10 minute paddle to Galeairy Lake portage which was another short one of 80m. When on Galeairy L. a strong head wind hit me and together with the waves made the going very slow and I decided to stop by on a nice sheltered island. I put up the hammock and had a short nap. When I woke up I did not feel like going anywhere else as the site was very nice and decided to stay for the night. Made dinner, watched the sunset, saw tons of jumping fish right off the shore and went to sleep. When I woke up everythhin was covered in frost. My water in the nalgene bottle was frozen solid (temp. that night hit -8 deg C). Shortly after sun came up and within half hour all was back to normal. I did not feel like eating so I packed up and off I went to avoid going up against wind again especially on Rock L. On my way out I saw lots of loons, few moose and had a nice paddle with no wind or waves for a change.

http://crazyravr.smugmug.com/gallery/2854188#153092097

thanx for looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 8:55 am 

Nice shots, thanks for the report. Pretty chilly for mid-May!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm 

great shots... what camera are you using?
The loon shots were particularly sharp.
That poor moose looked ravaged... can't wait to rub off more of that old coat I bet.

Myself and 2 friends were in the same area May 5th to 9th... had a blast and took loads of photos.... still going through them and PP'ing. I'll post a trip report and shots soon. We all use H. Hammocks as well. LOVE"EM.

Chilly night for you! Do you have an under pad?.... Use a Thermarest?

We lucked out and never went below 0... the days were all 20 +.

regards

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 5:25 pm 

Great pictures! Were you using an SLR? I stayed on Rock Lake last summer and found it very scenic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2007, 6:02 pm 

Nice report, thank you. I know this area pretty well and like it, for a short trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2007, 8:18 pm 

Did you remove that tree overhanging your hammock?