View topic - Massassauga - trip report.

It is currently November 22nd, 2019, 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 10:50 pm 

http://crazyravr.smugmug.com/gallery/3162792#173825701

I decided to visit Massassauga and when I phoned tuesday I was told only few sites were available so I decided to make reservations. Put in on friday afternoon and was at the campsite at around 5pm. Easy to get to but the head wind was not all that fun. The site has excellent landing for canoes and kayaks and deep water swimming and excellent diving rocks which gulls also use as bathrooms. The site had two OK tent pads and one SO SO... but me hammock camping... I did not care as it had plenty of trees. After I unpacked, drunk couple of beers I decided to get going on fire wood and went around to have a look. Got enough to have small fire for two nights and then had some more beer. By then the sun was setting so I decided to have... yeap... another beer. At dusk I hear paddles splashin and saw a lone kayaker emerging from the darknes... it was Johanna. Showed her a decent tent pad and after she was all settled we had.. well some beer. Next day off to Wreck Island we went. We went around the trail and Johanna read about the rocks and colors and I shot some photos. After that it was in for a quick and VERY "refreshing" dip at the Wreck Island and then back to campsite for dinner. Sunday morning there was a slight drizzle and we decided to pack up and get going. Johanna went home and I went onto the Calhoun Lodge. It was owned by a family in 1930's and then sold or given back to the Goverment... I dont like getting into details. It is a nice walk and nice site non the less. After that I did a stop over for lunch and quick swim... then it was time to get going home. Ahhhhhhhhh why do these weekends go by sooooo fast. Till next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 10:59 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Did you have a beer when you got home? :lol:

Must have been a good trip....Johanna has updated her blog....to tell her side of the story. :D

http://johanna.wandel.ca/babbles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 8:06 am 

Nice trip report Tomek. I was paddling the Musquash & Gibson Rivers on Friday and you're right those were some nasty headwinds that day. I can only imagine what Georgian Bay must have been like.

Calhoun Lodge is pretty neat. When I was last there, it was interesting to wonder what it must have been like at that spot way back when it was built.