View topic - French River Delta - June 13 - 16, 2009

It is currently August 17th, 2019, 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 8:38 pm 

I've got a ton of pictures from this trip, but I didn't really take any notes, so the write up is a little rougher than some of my other trips.

French River Delta

I've made 2 trips in this area, pretty much the same route each time. Well, we got a little farther on this trip that we did the first time we were there. :oops: Both times we've had beautiful weather. I will say that the bugs were a lot better the first time we were there in October of 2005 than they were on this trip in June of 2009. :roll:

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 12:50 pm 

Hello Splake: Nice report. I haven't canoed the French River yet. I think that I'll have to get some maps and check it out.

Take care,
Peter Myyry

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 1:14 pm 

You only need one map.
http://www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/maps/french_river.htm

yikes the price went up.

Last year you did have to portage or run a tricky chute to get to Georgian Bay.

Due to low water the French was not quite navigable all the way.

I did a six day loop from Hartley out the western Outlet and Cross Channel and to the farthest west site..where I spent two days due to a storm..then went across to the Fox Islands, back up through Dalles Rapids and the Elbow etc.

Poured rain most of the time..maybe the water level was up for this OP trip report. The boardwalk to Bass was in awful shape..don't count on carting.

Last edited by littleredcanoe on April 18th, 2011, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 7:16 am 

Yeah, if we had 6 days for one of these trips then we'd be more confident that we would have time for a larger loop regardless of wind.

LittleRedCanoe - Can you get much protection island hopping along the Georgian Bay end of King's Island?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 9:03 am 

Quote:
Can you get much protection island hopping along the Georgian Bay end of King's Island?

There are some islands and channels to canoe through from the Fingerboards to the Main/Eastern Outlets area which give you some wind and wave protection, but you must watch the weather and travel when it's not stormy. Due to recent low water levels on Georgian Bay some of the smaller "inland" channels shown on maps are not there any more, either dried up or too shallow or rocky to navigate, but a great place to explore. We did this traverse along King's Island in 2004.

In 2007, we were able to canoe with 16 ft open prospector style canoes from Killarney to Byng inlet with a side trip to the Bustards in 7 days. We were lucky to get a stretch of calm and light wind days but carried along a weather radio to check the forecast each day so we could plan the next days travel route safely. Always plan for some windbound days when travelling on the Bay and have some flexibility to adjust your route accordingly. For a long coastal trip, have some bailout options.

Barbara:
I tried to attach a map picture but got the message:
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 9:34 am 

Last year I went from campsite 822 to campsite 925 (some 37 km) in one day.

Because the water levels were so low I could not access any sneak routes save the one just to the north of Dorion and Obstacle Island.

Otherwise I was so far out to keep from grounding that no, there was no wind protection. However I was able to go through a couple of the Finger Boards.

I started early and wind was not an issue till I got to the Main Channel. Thats when I got to do a little island hopping.

I too carry a weather radio.I spent two days on 822 waiting. I figured if the waves were visible crashing on the outermost islands it would not be great paddling.

Again..sigh

This webpage is not available
The webpage at posting.php?mode=reply&f=108&t=37891 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 4:12 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. It pretty much matches our gut feel - that if we really wanted to get out to the bay itself then we should be planning on more than 4 days. We still could have day tripped further, but it goes along with not having tried to make a loop out of it.

I'd been wondering about water levels too. I was at Kilbear a couple of years ago now for the first time in almost 20 years and I swear the water level was down at least 6 feet!

We're looking at a Killarney guy's trip for September this year. I remember driving in to George Lake campground once as a kid, but that was it. I'm looking forward to the canoe trip, hoping we time it right for some good fall colours. :)