View topic - Grassy River June 2011

It is currently August 14th, 2020, 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grassy River June 2011
PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 9:49 pm 

I just pulled of this pretty river near Timmins today making a comfortable 5 day solo trip.

My original plans of a James Bay river had to be cancelled due to work despite having the time booked off! Then my Groundhog/Grassy plan became the Grassy plan after just being too friggin tired to make the drive and shuttle and paddle in one day after coming off a week stretch of shifts.

So Grassy it was. I put in were Grassy Lake road crosses the Grassy river just south of Grassy lake. This would make for a 115km trip to Timmins however I took out at the bridge before the Grassy meets the Matagami...so...maybe around 100km trip.

Despite what I have read I found campsites to be plentiful, they are just not maintained like APP. 90 percent of this trip is flatwater and even the river portion is VERY easy. There are only two rapids on the river portion that are class I tech at most...I had very good levels. Then there is High Falls...so so pretty! Swimming at the bottom is awesome!!! Campsites are numerous and very pretty on the north end of Peterlong Lake...one highlight of the trip was when I was eating dinner in my hammock on an island north end of Peterlong and watched a bear come out of the woods on the opposite shore, a special moment!

I do not recommend camping at Peterlong Dam...it is an eye sore although the port is pretty...no campsite and end of port fyi. After the dam the river is marshy and the solitude of having left behind the motorboats on peterlong and sinclair is very nice! The cabin before high falls is the only development on the river and is NOT abandoned anymore, it is being re-finished and even has solar and a sat dish. The Port for High Falls is on the right shore about 800m past it. The falls are spectacular...one of the prettiest spots I have seen.

After the falls the river pics up pace with a near continous 10km stretch of swifts...very pretty...campsites here are scarce for LARGE parties but a few spots would work...just be creative ;)

This is a fantastic paddling route that hopefully will become more popular and thus help protect High Falls.

HUGE props to WildExodus, they are awesome folk and extremely accomodating!!! JC is a gentleman and is well worth spending a few min chatting with about the area.

I will be using the services of WildExodus for my Groundhog River trip scheduled for the end of July.

The Grassy is paddled for its beautiful wilderness and aboundant wildlife, not for whitewater. And I must say that while I enjoyed the undeveloped lake portion of the trip, the river section below High Falls is just so nice...what a treat!!!!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 9:52 pm 

Pics are coming...I'm camped at WildExodus tonight and will try to post them when I get home tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 10:13 am 

Hello Sam,

I was wondering if you have your photos available for the Grassy River route? I'm contemplating paddling the same route next summer.

[size=85][i][color=#008040] There are many who walk through the woods like blind men. – Grey Owl, Tolerance [/color][/i].[/size]

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm 

Hello Horus,

I do have them, they are on a new camera so I just need to upload them on my computer then I will post them...will try to get them up soon :)

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 9:52 am 

Great report ! I have been travelling near there ! Im re-discovering the lost portages of Little Hawk,the Grassy River flows to Ferris Lake,part of the old canoe route that leads to James Bay used for over 600 years by the natives and more recently by fur traders. The route leads down to String Lake,Drop Lake then Pigeon !! The portage at Pigeon to the bottom of Drop Lake is passable,the mile and a half portage top of Drop lake has been located !

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 1:46 am 

Hey thank you :)

It's going to take me awhile to upload pics. I recently moved and am in the process of picking out a new computer. I'm using a dinky laptop currently.

I really think a fabulous 11-12 day trip would be to paddle the Grassy River, spend a night at wildexodus, and then paddle the Groundhog river after a nights rest in a cabin. I REALLY wish I had been able to do that this past spring. I'm actually debating on perhaps taking my gf on such a trip next June...only thing giving me slight pause is just how difficult the Groundhog is since I have not paddled it before and am reluctant taking any novice on a river I've yet to paddle...we shall see though. While the Grassy is a very easy trip I cant think of a better one to take a new paddler on...

I really cannot say enough good things about Wildexodus...they are just a fabulous operation and really are willing to work hard at accomodating your needs...I get the impression that they do not shuttle a super high amount of canoeists but I will for sure be using their services in the future and would recommend them to anybody! They are dog friendly too which is a huge bonus for paddlers such as myself.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 12:51 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
Hello Horus,

I do have them, they are on a new camera so I just need to upload them on my computer then I will post them...will try to get them up soon :)

Hi there Sam,

I decided against paddling the Grassy last summer as it was late into the summer before I could take time off for an extended trip.

I've listed the Grassy as one of my top three choices for a five to eight day canoe trip in the late spring. At your recommendation, I will reach out to Wild Exodus for route planning and shuttle information. I would like learn more about the route starting at Canoeshed or Halliday Lakes.

How did you find the motorboat traffic on Sinclair Lake in June? A couple years ago I base camped on Sothman and spent a bit of time paddling a few of the lakes around that area.

[size=85][i][color=#008040] There are many who walk through the woods like blind men. – Grey Owl, Tolerance [/color][/i].[/size]

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 8:02 am 

Found what must be Grassy Lake Road.
Original post deleted.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)