View topic - Trip To The Kawartha Highlands - Video and Pictures

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 10:53 am 

We took a short trip into Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park (Signature Site) in late August of this year. My father and I were tasked with re-introducing the rest of the family plus dog to canoeing, so we decided on an easy route with only 2 short portages and a minimal distance of paddling. We ended up deciding on heading from Long Lake to Cox Lake, and return via the same route. I don't think you could have asked for a better route for our parameters. Not too remote, just far enough to feel out in the woods and some luxury camping comforts, mainly a picnic table, metal fire grills and thunderbox. Perfect for novices or if you don't want to cover alot of distance or get too remote.

I decided to change things up by adding a select amount of pictures that I've taken as well. Normally take alot on this trips, and between three video cameras, mics and a Digital SLR We've got quite the equipment arsenal. Wouldn't trip any other way though, have to capture some great memories, never know when you'll be back that way!

So as always another video! 720P is nice and crisp.
Happy paddling!

Attachment:
_8267579.jpg

Attachment:
_8267576.jpg

Attachment:
_8277585.jpg

Attachment:
_8277603.jpg

Attachment:
_8277629.jpg

Attachment:
_8277652.jpg

Attachment:
_8277683.jpg

Attachment:
_8287718.jpg

Attachment:
_8287725.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

Last edited by Stajanleafs on December 2nd, 2011, 1:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 12:36 pm 

Top notch production once again. Looks like a nice area to visit. The dog looks right at home going along for the ride. Thanks for putting that together.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 11:21 pm 

She was a bit finicky at first but quickly got the hang of the whole paddling thing. It's been a few years since she's been in a canoe. Seems to enjoy fishing. One got loose in the boat and it was a dog vs fish free-for-all :lol:

Also figured out the whole picture thing! Thanks to Barbara!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 9:03 am 

RE: Stove Maintenance

FWIW - I finally replaced the pump diaphragm on a 25 - 30 year old Coleman single burner stove and it made a huge difference. In the end it was about a 3 minute job (OK, not counting the run to Canadian Tire for the part). I've oiled the diaphragm many times over the years - often just using a bit of margerine or even PB while on a trip and that had always been enough to keep it working (I thought) fairly well. I think I'll probably do the other stove and the lantern before spring as well.

Anyway - if the stove isn't building up pressure as well as it used too, then it might be worth replacing the diaphragm.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 9:40 am 

Another great video professionally done. Funny you should mention the pump diaphragm in your post. For some strange reason I was lying in bed this morning wondering if I need to replace the diaphraphm on my stoves. I don't use the stoves very much lately, but, it's good to know that it's a quick fix.